Whats this coin

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well i was hunting on the other side of the Island for a few days and was going thru the stuff and came across this really thick crusted copper coin. I thought at first ole crusty Zink. But started cleaning it up and thought King Charles I, but the more i cleaned ...its obviously not that either. It appears to be a stamped copper coin ..... and was off a very old beach. I see NO date.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 708
Well i was hunting on the other side of the Island for a few days and was going thru the stuff and came across this really thick crusted copper coin. I thought at first ole crusty Zink. But started cleaning it up and thought King Charles I, but the more i cleaned ...its obviously not that either. It appears to be a stamped copper coin ..... and was off a very old beach. I see NO date.

Looks somewhat like Spanish 'pirate' coins from the late 1400's to early 1500's. See http://www.ancientresource.com/lots/shipwreck-pirate-coins/spanish-copper-pirate-coins.html near the bottom of the page. Could be the real deal!

Just a stab, but i'd go for something like Portuguese/Brazilian 5 Reis or (Reais)
Basically, 5 Reals.

I’m thinking 1600s but someone said possibly Dutch. Pirate coin might make sense without a date.

Dang Dew, you are the true pirate,,,,,I commend you, not just for such a cool find, but showing up to a strange beach and finding it,,,,,,very nice,,,,,soooooo, show us some gold,,,,,,,,:laughing:glad you are enjoying your vaca,,,,,GL HH

What is it made out of? What did it ring up?

Mrlost.....it’s copper. Had about an 1/16” black crust. It rang up as a penny (crusted on 17 digit) on the MDT. The MDT tend to upscale targets rather than down scale.

Tim ...buddy. I got someone’s bridge on Tybee...only gold for the trip and never got in the rough water. When the tide goes out ....that’s a lot of wet sand.

Back
Top Bottom