Welp...destroyed my pro pointer...

marro

Hey people
Today i decided to try and repair my black Garrett pinpointer...i you tubed the whole thing about pulling out the circuit board and insulating those two wires etc.. i tried to use liquid "electrical tape " but made a bit of a mess on the board with it... then when pushing the board back in i sheared off the on/off button and im Pretty sure something else..
So now I say screw it... back in the market for a new one. Same price range just not "Garrett " just wanna see what else is good. The propointer i give about a B-
Mine did this weird thing were I'd have to push the on/off button a couple times to turn it on. This would happen once or twice every hunt. I had it 6 years but in terms of hours in use it wasn't very worn... the past 4/5 hunts was with a bunch of falsing..
Looks like there's a good variety now of quality pointers (not to mention Chinese knockoffs... which i decided to avoid. ) what are you guys finding works for you!? No disrespect to Garrett... i just wanna play the field lol.

Did the same thing myself the first time I took a Pro pointer apart. I bought a replacement on/off switch on eBay and was a little more careful putting it back together.

If you are dead set against Garrett the one I see a lot of decent comments about is the White's TRX but it is a bit more than the Garrett. The one I thought about was the Fisher F-PULSE. I changed my mind and stayed with the Garrett Carrot. I now have two of them and they work great.

There is no pointer that has been free from problems of some kind. The thing I looked for was product support in the event I needed to use them.

Cliff

I own them all and have to say that the TRX is by far my favorite. The Garret carrot works well but I like to pinpoint and the carrot has the sensing way up the shaft which I feel in the pin pointing business is to pin point and not find the general area. So the tip only sensing (like the TRX) does that. Good luck in your choice.

I would second bowwinkles point. I like the Garrett carrot but would prefer the detection only at the point and not also around the shaft...…...

I would second bowwinkles point. I like the Garrett carrot but would prefer the detection only at the point and not also around the shaft...…...

You know at first i thought that feature on the pro pointer was a good one... but sometimes as you know for whatever reason your MD can miss the mark and u end up digging a plug just beside the target resulting in digging deeper and deeper. That was kinda annoying.

I own them all and have to say that the TRX is by far my favorite. The Garret carrot works well but I like to pinpoint and the carrot has the sensing way up the shaft which I feel in the pin pointing business is to pin point and not find the general area. So the tip only sensing (like the TRX) does that. Good luck in your choice.

Depends. I would like to use one searching the shallows, so a 360° detection area would be a must. And the Garrett has auto retune for just serious pinpointing.:cool3:

if I was in the marked for a new one. I would like to try the Nokta PulseDive .. it's 2 in 1 detector.. .. converts from a hand held to a pin-pointer.. but I water hunt and it may not fill your needs..

I still remember that night years ago, when I decided to pull my black Garrett pointer apart. I sheared off that switch also, and spent hours finding the needle in the hay stack in my living room,,,finding that tiny spring from the on off switch. Trust me, if you'd asked beforehand, I woulda strongly said to leave it alone.

My "pain" is still inside me from that long night, but I kind of got mine working again. Luckily, I live just 30 minutes from Garretts factory and they fixed mine for under $30 back then.

I am liking the Fisher F-Pulse and the TRX these days, in tandem. I carry both in hunts. Each have their upsides. Like a gun slinger, I have two holsters packed ;-)

you have to have the switch depressed when taking apart and putting back together to keep from breaking the switch.. I replaced a defective switch on my original PP

you have to have the switch depressed when taking apart and putting back together to keep from breaking the switch.. I replaced a defective switch on my original PP

I had it depressed just put the board back in with all the finesse of a gorilla. Maybe a part of me wanted to wreck it to justify buying a new one. I guess I can't complain too much about the pro pointer. I got almost exactly 6 years out of it...the glitches it had only became a real pain the last 3 hunts or so.

I still remember that night years ago, when I decided to pull my black Garrett pointer apart. I sheared off that switch also, and spent hours finding the needle in the hay stack in my living room,,,finding that tiny spring from the on off switch. Trust me, if you'd asked beforehand, I woulda strongly said to leave it alone.

My "pain" is still inside me from that long night, but I kind of got mine working again. Luckily, I live just 30 minutes from Garretts factory and they fixed mine for under $30 back then.

I am liking the Fisher F-Pulse and the TRX these days, in tandem. I carry both in hunts. Each have their upsides. Like a gun slinger, I have two holsters packed ;-)

I really should have known better... i really don't know why i tried.

interesting. had no problems taking mine apart. I do remember making a shim or a tool to do it though.

I use this guy (after using the fisher f-point forever... still don't mind that thing!) and have had zero issues. Very powerful.

pinpointer-minelab-pro-find-1_1dbadbb4-f42a-4700-b815-70a2863ae43f_1024x1024.jpg

I like that the carrot has the side detection, but it would be nice to be able to toggle that off every now and then.

The Whites Bullseye TRX is the only way to go. The depth is outstanding. And pin pointing from the tip let's you really hone in on your target. One thing to point out though is that even though it does detect of the tip, you'll find that the very upper portion of the pin pointers shaft can also detect. No biggie, but something to be aware of if you're searching a pretty deep plug.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

I just hit the detune button a time or two and point the tip toward the side of the hole. Works for me.

Cliff

Exactly what I do also. I like my TRX, but a 360 degree detection on a pointer, is faster for me after getting down on the ground, with an open plug, especially after the target is not in the hole any more.

The TRX would be the coolest of all if it had a selectable 360 degree mode to toggle. That flashlight beam of detection can be tedious, and my knees need "off the ground" ASAP.

The absolute best pin pointer I ever used, was the Fisher F-Pulse, until the first F-Pulse I owned, started locking up in week number two. That became a problem with a lot of F-Pulse owners,,,lockups.

That first F-Pulse unit literally got the same depth for me as my TRX did, but with 360 detection. Sadly, Fisher's replacement unit to fix the lockups, was detuned for stability(I assume), and that beautiful depth equaling the TRX @ 360 degrees...went away.

I do have to say though, the F-Pulse I have had for a year, and use every hunt, beats my old orange carrot. The Pulse is solidly built, and best of all, I haven't lost any depth with it in over a year. My Garretts pointers all faded in sensitivity after a year.

Back
Top Bottom