#18. The impossible return

Chipk

Elite Member
As a former marketing executive and trainer, I know the value a little self promotion. A few years ago I looked for a lost ring and the owner was impressed by me and contacted a friend who owned a local magazine. They did an article on me and it not only led to a long string of permissions to hunt some very valuable properties but also a number of articles in other magazines and newspapers.

Last week another newspaper article was published and the same day I got an email from a local tv station asking to do a news story on me. They wanted to attach a cameraman with me for a day to film my activities. That happened today. Very interesting experience.

Well in 24 hours I had 5 requests to find lost items. A gold cross, ear ring,
2 wedding rings and ....a hearing aid.

Spent today looking for the cross with the cameraman. No luck yet but it’s a big property. Decided to move the hearing aid to the head of the list since the elderly man needed it. An hour away I headed there mid afternoon.

Bad weather and traffic and I arrived at sunset. The man provided the mate to the lost HA and I tried to get its VDI numbers. Nothing. I tried a second machine and again there wasn’t enough metal to get a reading.

So I got my pinpointer and was able to get a signal. I got my back up pinpointer and checked that it worked. I handed that one to the man’s son along with a flashlight and we headed out.

The elderly man lost it in the woods behind his house so we got on our knees at the edge and started fanning the probes across the ground and into the bushes and trees as it got darker and darker.

Then it started to rain.

Yay!

A long day of hunting and I was already exhausted. A long drive. Now I’m crawling on my hands and knees in the woods while rain is running down the back of my neck and the knees of my jeans and my shoes are soaking up water and mud.

Enough is enough.

Just as I was about to suggest I return tomorrow the lights from both of our flashlights hit the wayward hearing aid. The son snatched it up and returned it to his father as I scurried back to my car.

This is not the first time I’ve had to use a pinpointer instead of a detector to return a lost item. Hopefully this will be the last.

Um, can I please get on TV and land a bunch of permissions? That's awesome, you are fortunate. Congrats on helping the old man out, even if it wasn't under the most glorious conditions.

Back
Top Bottom