Is the jewelry you find on beaches yours to keep

So this guy goes to the police station and says " Im here to turn in some lost property".

The clerk says " Ok thanks , what did you find ?"

" Well my detector said it was a nickel but it turned out to be a ring , so.....heres a nickel" :laughing:

So this guy goes to the police station and says " Im here to turn in some lost property".

" Well my detector said it was a nickel but it turned out to be a ring , so.....heres a nickel" :laughing:

HAHAHA Gotta be one of the funniest things I've read on here!

now THAT is FuNNY!!!!!

Attachments

• emoticon-smiley-face-6800093.jpg
    emoticon-smiley-face-6800093.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 151
I brought this to my local police as I turned in my finds.

705.102 Reporting lost or abandoned property.— Florida

(1) Whenever any person finds any lost or abandoned property, such person shall report the description and location of the property to a law enforcement officer.

(3) It is unlawful for any person who finds any lost or abandoned property to appropriate the same to his or her own use or to refuse to deliver the same when required.

(4) Any person who unlawfully appropriates such lost or abandoned property commits theft as defined in s. 812.014, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
I didn't want to break the law so I brought this statute in when I turned in my 3000 pull tabs. I explained that the price per pound for aluminium was so high it would be a felony to keep them.:lol: I crack myself up!

Morals vs Ethics. An ethical man knows it's wrong to steal while a moral person won't. As to turning in the laws are vague here as in reporting the find but that also requires a description that attracts 50 or more responses and since it's impossible to prove ownership then the cops keeps it. So...... Mine were all gifted to me and therefore no requirement to report the gift unless it breaks the IRS minimum

FWIW. I took the gun I found to a police sub station. 20 cop cars out front. Cop behind the glass says I can't turn the gun in. I either have to take it downtown or the police have to come to my house:shock:. needless to say the guns still in my car:lol:. You turn some gold in you likely won't ever see it again. I know when I was a teen I turned some gold in for 3 years where I worked buffing floors. Went back to claim it and the boss had taken it all home:shock:

I believe it's keyboard warrier not holly roller. law is open to interpretation. Hh gl -Joe

I'm not a holy roller, but here comes a sermon.

Don't mind saying that most of the responses to this thread, if seriously meant as stated, are troubling. We have each agreed to abide by the MDers code of conduct regarding adherence to local and federal regulations for found objects just like we have agreed to refill our dug holes, just like we have agreed to not search in cemeteries. There's no difference in how we should obey one regulation versus another. Either you observe all the rules or please get out of the hobby and stop ruining it for the people that are willing to follow *all* the rules. The rules are not multiple choice where you pick 3 out of 4 or 9 out of 10, and only observe those.

Have personally found a few items of jewelry (man's gold wedding ring, a sterling friendship ring, sterling charm bracelet) that valued IMO over $100, so turned them in to the local police for the 90 day holding period. The cop that helped me made out a police report, give me his card, and wrote the case number on the card, all without my asking. After the 90 hold, I got the items back from the evidence room clerk without any issue.

Some of you may want to make fun of this response and you can have at it. But remember that the attitudes reflected in this forum are also read by people who simply want to find out what MDers really think and therefor how they will act in the field. Your choice - as always.

End of sermon.

Back
Top Bottom