Which inline probe do you use on your metal detector?

TN_INDIAN

Forum Supporter
Wondering which inline probe you guys use on your detector and which detectors. I have the F75 SE and getting the Etrac soon and want to try inline probes on each when I get the money and I know already from research that they cant use the same one thanks!!

Some people

Like the probe on the E-trac, , I had one on the F75 standard, let it go with the machine, it was a pain in the a-- , pulling the probe off ,putting it back on, hitting the switch twice every dig, I just went with a garrett pro pointer, less weight on the machine, no hanging line , no trouble, dig more less time , happy hunting, Earl :imo:

Like the probe on the E-trac, , I had one on the F75 standard, let it go with the machine, it was a pain in the a-- , pulling the probe off ,putting it back on, hitting the switch twice every dig, I just went with a garrett pro pointer, less weight on the machine, no hanging line , no trouble, dig more less time , happy hunting, Earl :imo:[/QUOT

thanks there! Don't hear about them much on the 75s like u do with them on the etracs.

E-trac

I run my e-trac without the probe, I do not want another pain, I use the Garrett, very convenient, the id on the e-trac ,with the Garrett pro pointer work's for me, as far as extra's , your e-trac will come standard with the 11dd coil, get a Sef 8x6 , that's a great coil for trashy school's with target's close to each other, in those area's the 11dd will drive you nut's , happy hunting Earl

I have had the SunRay on a couple of different detectors now but not on the last few. I really liked the tone discrimination on the probe versus just having the one tone on the Garrett. You can find your target easier if there is junk in the whole with the target. You do have to keep the probe moving like a coil where as the ProPointer works without motion. It is a little bit of a pain to have to switch it on and remember to switch it back off after you find your target. It also add another wire to get intertwined with your headphone wire unless you use wireless headphone. All in all, I like the probe an plan to get another one soon but I will never be without a Propointer.

I don't know of any company other than Sunray who makes in-line probes. You won't find one for the E-Trac unless it's a used model. Sunray has stopped production of the X-1 probe (E-Trac, explorer).

But as for the Sunray probes in general... they are the BEST! You can never forget it or have the batteries die (it doesn't use batteries). It doesn't add any real weight to a detector, and claiming that it's a burden to turn the switch on and off is ridiculous. Even Garrett probes have on and off switches. I've never had a problem with the Sunray cord becoming a problem in 4 years of use.

There is nothing better than having all the same settings, tones, etc while probing as while detecting. Don't even have to take you headphones off.

Tn Indian

Any time you add equipment to a detector, adds weight Fact , on the Garrett from the turn off & on button is were the hand hold's the pointer so it can be turned on & off on the way to the target, on the sunray probe the switch is on the shaft, reach down turn on , then reach down turn off , every dig, now if sunray used a button type switch at the detectors handle grip, this would have been better, also the probe line drag's the ground period......, if sunray made a wireless probe , maybe blue toothed to your detector, but any way in my opinion , doesn't matter ,Jason always disagrees with me, at 38 year's of hunting I know better, :roll::laughing:

but any way in my opinion , doesn't matter ,Jason always disagrees with me, at 38 year's of hunting I know better, :roll::laughing:

So what's up with the attack? I never mentioned you or anything you posted. I only posted my personal views on what I think is a great piece of gear.

Everyone is free to use whatever detecting gear they like, that's why there are so many different brands and styles.

As for weight, a feather adds weight to a detector, but not enough to matter. If the tiny amount of weight a sunray probe adds makes your detector un-usable, then the problem isn't the probe. I have used a Sunray for 4+ years and my probe cable has NEVER dragged the ground, and never gotten in the way.

The entire purpose of the sunray in-line probe is that it gives you the option of having a 1/2 coil connected to your detector which you can switch back and forth. If that isn't what you like, don't use it, but don't make up ridiculous excuses to try to dissuade others from using it.

A Sunray came with my M6. It was convenient with the shaft clip and tone ID was good to have in a probe. I took it off of the machine because it did not work well with the size plugs I dig. I would dig a small plug and the probe would go off as soon as I put it in the hole. I found the White's to be a better choice for me.

J in E

Everyone has there own opinion, I ran the sunray probe on a F75 standard for a few year's, then I sold it with the probe on it, I could have taken it off and put it on the F75se , however I was glad to get rid of it, as far as the comment of disagreement , :imo: this stems from the beach & water detecting section, seam's like you disagree with a lot of post's, not just mine in general, on this thread Tn Indian wanted people's opinion on the probe, mine was given, however YOU brought up Me, and negatively commented on my post :roll::no:, the probe wasn't the only Sunray product I have owned, I have owned coil's to, I liked the Fz12 coil on my Cz70pro, which was discontinued also :roll::no:, so :back2topic: Tn Indian :imo::my2cents::ohthedrama: I like the garrett pro pointer best, and gave away and :digginahole: retired the Sunray probe 4 good, happy hunting, Earl

I don't know of any company other than Sunray who makes in-line probes. You won't find one for the E-Trac unless it's a used model. Sunray has stopped production of the X-1 probe (E-Trac, explorer).

But as for the Sunray probes in general... they are the BEST! You can never forget it or have the batteries die (it doesn't use batteries). It doesn't add any real weight to a detector, and claiming that it's a burden to turn the switch on and off is ridiculous. Even Garrett probes have on and off switches. I've never had a problem with the Sunray cord becoming a problem in 4 years of use.

There is nothing better than having all the same settings, tones, etc while probing as while detecting. Don't even have to take you headphones off.

+1

Yea right now just using the gpp and love it to death don't get me wrong but im the type that has to try all the good stuff cause always looking for fun stuff to help me dig my silver and gold. thanks guys all of you.

I loved the gpp until the switch went goofy while I was hunting a park full of old coins. I had to smack it on the side of a 10" hole to get it to work, with winter on the way. My best advice is get a backup in case yours goes out. The gpp works great until it doesn't. Their customer service is good for repair, or replacement, but that does not do much good when you need it the most and can't afford the time to send it in.

I loved the gpp until the switch went goofy while I was hunting a park full of old coins. I had to smack it on the side of a 10" hole to get it to work, with winter on the way. My best advice is get a backup in case yours goes out. The gpp works great until it doesn't. Their customer service is good for repair, or replacement, but that does not do much good when you need it the most and can't afford the time to send it in.

Still have the cheap fisher pointer somewhere around here as a bakup guess I need to locate it. Thanks great advice!

i run

both the Garrett, and pistol probe, but don't run the pistol probe with the E-trac, works fine with the F75, I am the same way Tn indian , I like tring most thing's, recently got the 10x12 sef for the F75se, will test it out this spring, here is a pick of my old F75 standard with the sunray probe on it, happy hunting , Earl Ps (you will notice that the line does drag on the ground) :roll::police:

Attachments

• 20110612_2.JPG
    20110612_2.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 197
Back
Top Bottom