• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Double Barrel Groundhog

5 mile

Forum Supporter
What are the chances of catching 2 groundhogs at the same time?

I bet the one that got in there first to get the cantaloupe was pretty upset at his clumsy brother who came in second, then stepped on the trip plate. :laughing:

Attachments

• IMAG0808[1].jpg
    IMAG0808[1].jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
That melon paid for itself. That's a heck of a 2-fer!

When I was trapping the coons out of here I was using dry dog food for bait, and one day I had two Blue Jays in the trap at once.....and they weren't happy. They should have been though, because unlike the coons they got turned loose.

You are a brave soul baiting the cage with cantaloupe.
Why?
Skunks love it.

Catch one of those, in a cage- could be problematic!!!

Been there and done that.

I had young coons getting my sweet corn.
I got cute and did what you did= skunks.

Why?
Skunks love it.

Cute? Not sure I wouldve used that word. First off skunks are nocturnal, groundhogs are not.

Trap w/melon is set in daytime only, close to their opening. They cant resist it. Although possible, not likely to get a skunk here especially during the daytime.

Cute? Not sure I wouldve used that word. First off skunks are nocturnal, groundhogs are not.

Trap w/melon is set in daytime only, close to their opening. They cant resist it. Although possible, not likely to get a skunk here especially during the daytime.

Well, it does change things a bit with daytime cage setting.

Some folks here might not realize and leave set at night.
So some info sharing I think has taken place here.
Good thing.

I don't even mess around with live traps, gimme a 220 Conibear every time!
If you don't have cats or dogs of course -
You know, whistle pigs that young are good eatin! :cool:

If you don't have cats or dogs of course -
You know, whistle pigs that young are good eatin! :cool:

That is indeed correct! :laughing: Those young Ohio 'pigs are some VERY good eating! Plus, you got yourself a pair of yearlings that are the Perfect size to make slippers or mittens out of! Or hand puppets even! You can travel around and put on a little "Punch and Judy" show! :laughing::laughing:

Why?
Skunks love it.

I caught one two years ago and the wife wouldnt let me off it. instead she grabbed a big towel and threw it over the trap so she could get close enough to release it. Still can't believe she didn't get sprayed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I have a large property, several outbuildings and dont always have line of sight of them, and Im sure not going to watch for them and wait. Gives me more time for things like............detecting :laughing:

I have several guns also, and given the opportunity, well you know the outcome.

? What's to watch and wait? Set the 220 in front of the den entrance, walk away, go detecting! Sounds like we both have the same kind of property.

Here's one that I put a Texas head shot on a couple weeks ago.

View attachment 389837

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Out in Wyoming we used to call that a 'Texas Heart Shot!' when we were hunting Coyotes and a guy only had the chance to hit one running straight away....Man I havnt heard that term since the late 80's!

I like 'Texas Head Shot' better though! :laughing: Thats gonna be used from now on Longhair!

Ground hogs in my area over the last 15 years are sparse.
This year though, the most Inhave seen in 15 years.
May have some thing to do with folks a putting the lead to the coyotes around here.
Last spring a lot of coyote hunting was done, not by me.

Had a friend (now deceased) who grew up in Ohio. Once a year we would go up and hunt groundhogs on some of the Amish Farms. We used small caliber muzzleloading rifles The Amish hate groundhogs with a passion. So we never had any problem getting permission. On one farm we killed 28 ground hogs with three of us hunting. The farmer was ecstatic.

One trip I brought a bunch of them home and did the cooking thing with them and once I got them cooked and deboned I covered them with BBQ sauce and let them cook for a while in the crockpot.

My sons loved the BBQ whistle pigs.

Agreed Geo! They really are about the perfect little survival food!...Tasty and easy to procure via several primitive methods! Just one mid sized 'hog is enough for several days of hobo eating! Easy to make jerky out of them as well! Not only that, their hide is just the right size to make a set of moccasins out of! They have a real thick neck and back skin, which a guy uses for the sole, and their sides are thinner and supple for the uppers! Or anything else a guy needs...In these regards, They are perfect actually...way better than a deer, or a rabbit or a squirrel even,....

You find an active hog den, and you know right where they are, pretty much when they will be coming out, basically as easy as going to McDonalds! :laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom