Watervliet Arsenal NY - US Military Stirrup

dlax

Elite Member
I found this stirrup today - it's solid brass and blew my ears off. The maker is stamped "US Watervliet Arsenal NY" with initials PVH on the side. Any idea whether this is Civil war, or later? I can move this over to "ID my find", but I know it's a stirrup, just not sure of era or type :) I am in MA.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2017-06-01 20.39.47.jpg
    2017-06-01 20.39.47.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 696
  • 2017-06-01 20.40.10.jpg
    2017-06-01 20.40.10.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 636
  • 2017-06-01 20.40.49.jpg
    2017-06-01 20.40.49.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 593
I think you just may have found yourself a good one. According to Howard Crouch in his book, on page 137 he shows your stirrup. He calls it a US artillery design of heavy cast brass marked "Watervliet Arsenal NY". He doesn't give it a date range, but his book is on civil war artifacts. Looks like it's a keeper.

Great find! I also live near the arsenal. When I saw the post I thought someone had gotten permission to hunt there and was wondering how on earth that was done! But just by doing a quick google search I found this:

Civil War U.S. and Arsenal Marked Artillery Brass Stirrups -The bottoms are boldly marked “US” at center, as well as “WATERVLIET ARSENAL N.Y.” on one side and the inspectors initials “P.V.H.” on the other. These solid brass cast stirrups were for the M1847 Grimsley Artillery Driver’s saddle.

____

So I would assume the M1847 includes the year, pre-civ. Great find!

I think you just may have found yourself a good one. According to Howard Crouch in his book, on page 137 he shows your stirrup. He calls it a US artillery design of heavy cast brass marked "Watervliet Arsenal NY". He doesn't give it a date range, but his book is on civil war artifacts. Looks like it's a keeper.

Awesome, thanks for looking it up! I wasn't sure whether to trust the ebay seller descriptions that I saw online, so I am glad to have it confirmed!

Wow that is just incredible! Great find!

very nice ... congrats !

Incredible find. Congrats.....:yes:

Thanks guys!

Congrats ! Nice find. My mom lives just steps from the Watervliet Arsenal.

Great find! I also live near the arsenal. When I saw the post I thought someone had gotten permission to hunt there and was wondering how on earth that was done! But just by doing a quick google search I found this:

Civil War U.S. and Arsenal Marked Artillery Brass Stirrups -The bottoms are boldly marked “US” at center, as well as “WATERVLIET ARSENAL N.Y.” on one side and the inspectors initials “P.V.H.” on the other. These solid brass cast stirrups were for the M1847 Grimsley Artillery Driver’s saddle.

____

So I would assume the M1847 includes the year, pre-civ. Great find!

Seems like it would be a great place to hunt, lots of history. Thanks for the additional info. That saddle does look like it was designed in 1847, then modified in 1862. Cool!

The Watervliet Arsenal is still a very active military compound. It is the only arsenal that still produces the largest gun barrels for our military ships today. You wont get within a hundred feet without being greeted by MP's. My dad was employed there for 33yrs working in their labs on gun barrell metals and designs.

The Watervliet Arsenal is still a very active military compound. It is the only arsenal that still produces the largest gun barrels for our military ships today. You wont get within a hundred feet without being greeted by MP's. My dad was employed there for 33yrs working in their labs on gun barrell metals and designs.
Really? Very cool. Ok so I won't go door-knocking there, good to know!

That's a nice one, congrats on a nice find.

That is a such and amazing piece of history. Congrats on such an amazing find!

Absolutely phenomenal find!!

outstanding find! Congrats!

Great dig!

Thanks, I appreciate your comments! It is going display quite nicely, too.

Back
Top Bottom