Advice on a detector in the $500 range

kingpin

We are looking at getting into MD'ing but have no previous experience with the hobby. Being recently retired (as an assayer) I thought this would be a great way to stay active and maybe pick up a few treasures along the way. So far I have found the options totally overwhelming.

So I will give you some info and would greatly appreciate your recommendations for me and my wife.

1. Most of our detecting will be on beaches or parks
2. Our budget is approx. $500 each
3. We are in Western Canada (if that matters?)
4. User friendly is important

Thanks in advance. I look forward to your input - this forum is a great resource!

I own a Garrett GTAx550 it's just under $500.00. I like it, it's a good beginner MD. But for that much money you can find a better one.
I like the looks of the Whites Prizm 950 it has more features for the same price as the Garrett. I'm debating on buying a Whites MD next myself,although I do like Garrett. If your set on Garrett, I'd spend alittle more and get the GTI 1500.

What type of beaches mostly ?

Are you on the coast or inland ? Hunting in saltwater sand VS. freshwater sand may influence some of the suggestions ?
Marty

I agree with Bounty Hunter...look hard at the F5.... but the real test is to get one in your hands... even if you are going to just look at it. I found a store which had the Whites MXT and M6 both of which I was giving SERIOUS consideration too... but once I held them I did not like the way the felt. Then I tried the F5 and it was love at first site. EXCELLENT display and the results I am reading are very good. Unit runs for $500 at Kellyco.

Kingpin,

I am sure you are going to love the F5... as I may have mentioned I have done lots of reading and research and the F5 is a solid user friendly machine... and there are lots of people who agree. The MXT and the M6 are fine detectors made by a fine American company... I just felt the F5 had more of what I wanted in a detector at my current level. I loved the fact it is VERY light, Loved the display, lots of people in this forum are finding coins at the 8" depth with it AND it comes with a 5 year warranty. I believe the MXT and the M6 only come with a 2 year. My next detector will be a Whites Beach Hunter or a Whites PI ... both are excellent beach machines... but for a time I will be cutting my teeth on the F5 and with some luck my "finds" will help pay for the beach machine.
Good luck with the new detector and PLEASE log back in and let us know how you like it!

Regards,

Prof Lemoi

F5

So I finally got the F5 after a delay from the dealer. I took it out yesterday evening to a local park/beach. My very first find was a 1950 10 pfennig German coin (I am in Western Canada). It is really worn and hard to read, looks like a slug. It is apparently steel coated in copper. The interesting part is the coin says fennig rather than pfennig - definitely no 'P'. Google turns up nothing but the same coin spelled with the 'P'.

Anyways, this machine is going to take awhile to get used to, hunting in the grass right now without a pinpointer is frustrating and hard on my lawn. Fun stuff!

Thanks for reading and thanks for the advice on the F5 purchase.

Congrats on getting your Fisher F5.

It is a nice and performing detector that will be nice to improve your skill and also to learn hunting with a threshold mode.

Back
Top Bottom