How to coin roll hunt...?

coupe68

So I have seen a couple people have some really cool finds doing crh. I have a couple of questions though. Can I just walk into my local bank and ask them for a roll of certain denomination coins? If I can, what are the best denominations to ask for (pennies, nickels, dimes, halves, quarters)? Or should I just ask them if they have any old coins? Any help...

Well...
Just like MD'ing you go through a lot of junk before you find keepers.
I go through pennies, nickels, and halves on a regular basis. I ask for "boxes" of coins. A box is 50 rolls.
With pennies, I average 10-14 wheaties per 50 rolls. The only Indian Head cent I got was over the counter from the teller, who saved it for me.
With nickels, I will find 20-30 from before 1960, and usually find a few that are pre WWII. I will find 2-3 war nickels in every few boxes.
With halves, it's all over the board. I usually find 5-7 40% halves, and for the first time in over 10 years, I recently found 90% silver halves. But the last box was a skunk.

I dont hunt dimes and quarters. I can't imagine much silver being in those rolls.

One last tip. Establish a "buy" bank, one where you are cool with the tellers and will order all your change from. Use another bank to "dump" the coins at. it can even be another branch of the same bank. Banks incur a cost to order boxes in for their customers, so they get peeved if you return it later on. :) Learn your dump bank's policies on coins. They may require you to re-roll them, or they make take them loose/SecureBagged if you have over X dollar amount. I redeem pennies when I have $50 worth (Full Bag), nickels when I have $100 (Half Bag), and Halves when I have $500 (half bag).

Finally, check out the social group here on the forum for CRH'ers. Good luck!

If you are friends with the person on the other side of the counter then asking for any old coins may be a way to do it..
You can ask for rolls of coins in any denomination. They will sell them to you at face value (no, really)
Know what you are looking for.....key dates, mis struck coins, things like that. Have a reference book handy also.
Whatever the roll gives you just replace with a normal coin and take the roll back to the bank and try your luck again.
If you come across a roll that has a few corroded pennies in it, that is just your fellow detectorist saying "Hi".

Back
Top Bottom