• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Roll hunting finds

Stevo

Forum Supporter
I've been coin roll hunting for the past two weeks, at night. I had to pick through a lot of coins to harvest these wheaties. The oldest , that I can tell, is 1919. The IH was a nice treat, last night. The silver quest has not paid off, yet.

Attachments

• IMGP0545.jpg
    IMGP0545.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 379
  • IMGP0544.jpg
    IMGP0544.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 377
Hard times

seem to produce better picking for the coin roll hunters. Unfortunatly, older folks in need of cash will bring some long collected coins in for paper. Their waning eyesight prevents them from sorting out what is old or what might have value beyond face. My bank seldom has rolls of coins that people bring in. When they do they open them and dump them into a huge counter. I asked about halves a while back and the only way I could get them was by a
2000 count bag. I almost pulled the trigger, then I thought about having to bring them back...:roll:...good luck...Gil

Must've looked at a lot of cents! I find 10-12 wheaties per $25 of cents. The teller found an IH (1901) that he saved for me a couple weeks back.

I just joined a credit union that has a self-serve coin counter in the lobby. There is a constant stream of people cashing in thier coins. I started buying the $50 bags of coins collected from the machine. I just stagger my coin cashing visits every few days to avoid sifting the same coins twice. I also opened small savings accounts at 2 other banks, to gain access to thier coin stocks. The rotation keeps me in steady supply of fresh coins. As far as silver, I've found one 1944 War Nickle, but I know there has to be some Buffs to be found, too. Dimes and quarters have not been productive at all, yet.

i average about 6 to 10 per $25 box. Looks like you did really good for a couple weeks. ive only been lucky enough to get 3 IH's in the last 6 months.

Must've looked at a lot of cents! I find 10-12 wheaties per $25 of cents. The teller found an IH (1901) that he saved for me a couple weeks back.

It really varies. I bought a box of $25 in pennies the other day, and found 5 wheaties. In some rolls, I find 3. It just depends on who is cashing whatever in. The treasure is in the hunt, my friends. Should there be a new category of posts to track this line of hunting? We in the northern climes don't have the MDing experience available to us all year long. Any thoughts?

I quit detecting and have been exclusively roll hunting. Absolutely cost-free. Just a matter of dump banks. Been buying in WV and dumping in ohio. Time con-suming a bit, but no wear and tear on back and knees. 147 wheaties in last 6 weeks.

As far as silver, I've found one 1944 War Nickle, but I know there has to be some Buffs to be found, too. Dimes and quarters have not been productive at all, yet.

I recently ended my coin roll hunting a few months ago now that the weather is good enough to dig in the dirt but I actually ended up finding my first buffalo nickel from the nickel roll hunting!

...of course the date was absent but hey a buffalo is a buffalo right?

Also, I posted it in the forum somehwere, but I found a complete roll of the 1943 steel wheaties too when I was doing penny rolls. Not that they are worth much but I just thought it was unique to find a full roll of steels, actually someone miscounted and even put 52 cents in instead of 50 :lol:

I have fun with it, its a nice winter hobby, although if the rain keeps up I might be heading back to the bank soon to kill some time :shock:

-Kyle

Back
Top Bottom