Poison Oak/Ivy... Your Remedies?

collegefbfan

While detecting on vacation, I think I might have come in contact with a bit of it on my left arm. Thought it was a bug bite at first, but it is in quite a few places on my left forearm. Been using calamine lotion. Anyone here have favorite remedies? It hasn't really itched me that crazy til now. Thanks.

I use a product called Tecnu. I don't even put it on until the itch starts. If used according to the directions, the itch stops and does not come back. I also try to avoid poison ivy, but sometimes I still get some. Available at outdoor stores or Amazon.

I have been using a hand cleaner called Mean Green hand scrub for about 8 years. One of their ex-salesmen took the formula and changed the color and markets it as Zanfel which is real expensive and only comes in a small tube. You can by a tub of the hand cleaner for less that have the cost of a tube of Zanfel.

This stuff works real great. It's formula is design to remove oil and grease and was sold to garages and mechanics. Don't try use other hand cleaners they just don't work.

Good luck.

Ray

A Prednisone shot and pills is all that helps me if it gets real bad. Little areas, I cover with bandaids to keep from scratching them and causing it to spread.

I get it just about every year. I used to not get it at all. Getting old.

Poison Oak

My sister got it recently and says Vicks Vapor rub was the fix for her.

The best remedy is getting the urisiol oil off your skin before it can cause a rash - here’s a fantastic video with great, simple advice:

I know that doesn’t help with your current rash, but it might help avoid one in the future! Being able to recognize PI is a big help too:

Here on the east coast, the antidote for poison ivy, jewelweed...can usually be found growing nearby.

+1, also that technu stuff mentioned above works well. Its expensive and smells horrible, but it lifts the poison ivy oil right off your skin. Ill rub it on the area that I think I may have had contact with the poison ivy and let sit for 15-20 mins then hop in the shower and rinse off. I hate the stuff...

Doctors visit. A shot. Five days of Prednisone. Get me some Tecnu. Also, I am suffering like a madman. Left arm belongs in a horror movie.

Boxelder next to poison ivy..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG950188.jpg
    IMG950188.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG950190.jpg
    IMG950190.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 168
Poison ivy looks a lot like this too.. But this isn't poison ivy either... Anyone know what it is? Had me going for a second...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-01-21-43-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-01-21-43-16.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_2018-08-01-21-43-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-08-01-21-43-43.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 160
Toothpaste in a pinch. I like the white crest. Rub it on and you're good for about 2 hours, reapply as needed. Only downside is you smell like your wearing toothpaste.

ETA: I don't get poison ivy often or easily and it doesn't last long so take that for what it's worth. If I have it it's because I've been using the weed eater in the poison ivy wearing shorts. Toothpaste is usually enough to take the edge off for a day.

For a remedy, this worked for me...

Scuff it up good with 40 grit sandpaper, or brillo pad, and then scrub it down with bleach. Rinse off with water..

I walk through it on a daily basis.. My pant cuffs could be considered a chemical weapon...lol

Knowing you've gotten into it and what to do about that is more important than any remedy for sure..

The oils can stay active on tools, boots, gloves, steering wheels, and pretty much anything for years!

Dish soap is as good or better than anything in my opinion, for post exposure wash up.. Specifically made to cut oils...

<°)))>{

I do the ID and avoid, can ID from 10 paces.

I do pause when seeing those other tri-leave plants for a few seconds. Seen plenty of the box elder (didn't know name until now) and those other plants Ice Scratcher posted pics of. As long as it is not posion ivy I don't care.

Now I have been getting in close to PI since I may get a good signal. So then try not touching any.
When I get home I strip and cloths go into washer warning my wife NOT to touch the bottom of the pants. Then wash. This is working so far this year.

I also do NOT touch coil and lower end of detector until it's washed to remove PI oils.

While detecting on vacation, I think I might have come in contact with a bit of it on my left arm. Thought it was a bug bite at first, but it is in quite a few places on my left forearm. Been using calamine lotion. Anyone here have favorite remedies? It hasn't really itched me that crazy til now. Thanks.

YEP my remedy is to get no where near any if I get with in 50 feet of it and even look at it I break out and not just a small rash I mean every where on my body found out the hard way while living in Ohio liked to died from exposure to it, my wife would pull it down from our garage bare handed and it would affect her in no way, like I said run the opposite direction away from it thats my remedy for it.

The first PA I went to didn't prescribe enough Prednisone. I called my other regular PA, who couldn't see me that day. She called in the big guns.

Don’t know. I’m one of those weirdos that can roll in the stuff and not get it.
The one time I thought I had a poison ivy rash, turns out it was shingles. I still have the scars.

Don’t know. I’m one of those weirdos that can roll in the stuff and not get it.
The one time I thought I had a poison ivy rash, turns out it was shingles. I still have the scars.

Same here!.....Or so I thought!....around in the stuff all my Life with no trouble until recently...Man...I did some fence work for my Aunt and sumpthin got a hold of me! Poison Ivy, poison Oak, some damn Horrible thing!...blistered up from stem to stern like a fire walker at a nudist colony!

I went down to the Dollar Store and bought the whole inventory of calamine lotion, 1 gallon of isopropal alcohol, 2 gallons of car window washing fluid, a 15 pack of beer, and a plastic kiddie pool....

Then I went out back, poured all of this into that little pool and made myself a mud wallow! I got in there buck and lounged around for a few hours.....Well, I didnt pour the beer straight into the pool...I ran it through my liver first...thats the secret...:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom