• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Will we soon have OK to detect Nat'l Pks?

or just see when my buddies uncle is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and buy him a coffee at the local all night diner. and tell him to drink it slooooow. lol

Well, I suppose that places with THOSE degrees of counter measures, COULD be researched ahead of time (like you have done), to know NOT to hit such places.

Or, you know, show some actual morals and code of conduct and don't detect where it's off limits. Don't like it? LAWFULLY work on reversing situations where detecting is banned. Our club has done it. But oh no, here we go again with the night hawk, robber, trespasser wink wink post.

I wonder what it would cost to have life-size fake metal detectors made? You know, plastic outside with nothing inside. Get 100 of these made and get 100 metal detectorists to all enter a National Park at once. We start sweeping, but there is no way possible to detect metal. Does anyone think they could charge us with something, and if so what?

just a broom stick with a small shoe box taped to it, spay paint it black. really... its just a walking cane with a storage box. lol

Or, you know, show some actual morals and code of conduct and don't detect where it's off limits. Don't like it? LAWFULLY work on reversing situations where detecting is banned. Our club has done it. But oh no, here we go again with the night hawk, robber, trespasser wink wink post.

Yes, I confess, locker room talk. By all means, don't do the "obvious historic sensitive monuments". But in-so-far as the other topics that come up (beaches, city/county parks, etc...) I *do* think that some md'rs can over-think it. In their "quest to be extremely lawful", they fret themselves silly over subjective ancillary language. So.... I guess I over-react and reach to the extreme brazen end of the spectrum (locker room talk).

Something in the middle is appropriate, eh ? :?:

You want to see more and more bans on detecting,

Yes! Ya see, geographical 'bans' and 'rules' dont have any negative effect on Free Rangers, in fact, its Super Double Plus good! No Hunting areas, No Fishing ponds, etc, just chockerblock loaded! Imagine how great the detecting will be for a lot of people if they just developed a bit of Free Ranger bravado? Banner posts every day of your Life!

There is Historical precedent to defend this Free Ranger concept and behavior......Ever heard of Genghis Khan? Francisco Pizaro?, Louis and Clarke? Blackbeard the Pirate? Imminent Domain? Sure! Just go and take what you want! Its very liberating and a more productive expenditure of your time!

What I dont understand is howcome we are supposed to be Ambassadors of the Sport? With a list of some self created and unenforced 'rules' to follow? Thats to each his own to determine how to behave...Like on ring returns...thats a personal decision....I dont remember taking any oath down at the detector store when the guy sold me my rig?

We are Treasure Hunters and Pirates! Descended from a long line of Vikings and Free Rangers, Revolutionaries, Rascals, Renegades, Rebels, Reprobates, Rapscallions...We cant be expected to behave like a troop of BoyScouts led by Mr Rogers? Digger Please! This Sport is the last bastion of masculinity where rules simply dont apply if you dont let them! Some of us just cant help it, we were 'Born this Way'....I bet Geo Washington had to deal with this subject a time or two...

If a guy likes to be outdoors, wander around aimlessly for no profit, obey and follow all sorts of rules, worry about his reputation, theres always Golf!
(Sarctag needed?)

Last edited:
Yes! Ya see, geographical 'bans' and 'rules' dont have any negative effect on Free Rangers, in fact, its Super Double Plus good! No Hunting areas, No Fishing ponds, etc, just chockerblock loaded! Imagine how great the detecting will be for a lot of people if they just developed a bit of Free Ranger bravado? Banner posts every day of your Life!

There is Historical precedent to defend this Free Ranger concept and behavior......Ever heard of Genghis Khan? Francisco Pizaro?, Louis and Clarke? Blackbeard the Pirate? Imminent Domain? Sure! Just go and take what you want! Its very liberating and a more productive expenditure of your time!

What I dont understand is howcome we are supposed to be Ambassadors of the Sport? With a list of some self created and unenforced 'rules' to follow? Thats to each his own to determine how to behave...Like on ring returns...thats a personal decision....I dont remember taking any oath down at the detector store when the guy sold me my rig?

We are Treasure Hunters and Pirates! Descended from a long line of Vikings and Free Rangers, Revolutionaries, Rascals, Renegades, Rebels, Reprobates, Rapscallions...We cant be expected to behave like a troop of BoyScouts led by Mr Rogers? Digger Please! This Sport is the last bastion of masculinity where rules simply dont apply if you dont let them! Some of us just cant help it, we were 'Born this Way'....I bet Geo Washington had to deal with this subject a time or two...

If a guy likes to be outdoors, wander around aimlessly for no profit, obey and follow all sorts of rules, worry about his reputation, theres always Golf!

(Sarctag needed?)

I think you may have to Mud - I thought you was serious!!!!!!!!! :laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
Well the least we can do is help after they get all the Confederate statues removed and put away.

I reckon they would surely then start on the battlefields picking up everything Confederate, bullets, buckles, stuff like that?

I would even buy my own batteries, just sayin:laughing:
:laughing:

Last edited:
Ya'all making this way more difficult then it needs to be. Just bring a buddy to distract the ranger who is on duty with a box of donuts and case of beer and you'll have free run of the place until the beer run is needed again. :lol:

Well the least we can do is help after they get all the Confederate statues removed and put away.

I reckon they would surely then start on the battlefields picking up everything Confederate, bullets, buckles, stuff like that?

I would even buy my own batteries, just sayin:laughing:
:laughing:

Agreed! All those old tombstones and monuments really slows down a guys hunt! A guy has to 'short stroke' swing in the old boneyards, between all those upright stones? Can easily bust up a coil as well as taking a toll on the shoulder joint...Even with a 'Swingy Thingy', its damn Uncomfortable, Have to concentrate too much, plus, no defined concession area to key in on....Waste of time really, unless we can get these monuments and upright stones out of the way...

Not as easy as hunting the new Cemeteries!...flat stones, set flush to the surface so a guy can quick broom unimpeded like sweeping a soccer field, still though, not a whole lot to be found in boneyards...not in the 8" to surface strata anyway......:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom