Seeded hunt tips

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
in an effort to help you avoid the mistakes that I made on my first seeded hunt, here are a few tips and tricks that you can use for when you go on your first competition or seeded hunts.

– You want a coil that has enough size to cover as much ground as possible but that you can also pinpoint with accurately. It’s all about speed and target recovery during a seeded hunt.

– The biggest problem is getting hung up on a target for too long. Most seeded hunts last 30-45 minutes but after about 20 minutes or so most targets are recovered so looking for one target for 5 minutes is a valuable time killer.

– Detector Setup Matters! You want to make sure that your metal detector is programmed to the correct settings for the types of targets you will be searching for. If a hunt is say a half dollar hunt, you need to know what a half dollar looks like on your machine and only dig those targets. It’s bad to see detectorists after a hunt with pull tabs and other trash that they’ve recovered when there were no nickels in the hunt.

– A pinpointer can be a great tool in speeding up recovery time. Faster target recovery equals more targets recovered during the hunt.

– A metal detector with a fast recovery speed is essential. In many instances, the simpler the machine the better.

– If the seeded hunt is on sand, it is in the best interest of the people hunting to turn down their sensitivity – a lot. Nothing is going to be deep. Most targets are just under the sand or within 1-2″. You don’t need depth. It will also cut down on interference.

– Do Not use a big coil. There is no need for a 13″ coil when doing a seeded hunt. Use a smaller, elliptical coil if you have one. It will also cut down on interference by providing a field that does not extend past the coil edges.

– Do not stand near anyone who is using the same detector as you are, otherwise, there is going to be a lot of noisy interference. This is where having a detector with Frequency Shift can help you avoid interference.

– If the seeded hunt is on grass, don’t do sloppy recovery work. Nothing is going to be too deep. So recover quickly and be sure to repair your plugs as you would any other time.

– If you hit an 8″ target, chances are, it isn’t one of the seeded targets. It may be a good target, or it may not. You will just waste time otherwise – especially if there are prize tokens to be had.

– Bring long rubber coated tweezers in case the hunt is seeded by making a slit and dropping the coin into it. You can easily recover the coin with the tweezers. This will only work up to 2-3 inches.

– OVERLAP YOUR SWINGS! You will miss many targets by zig zagging through the seeded area. Being the fastest doesn’t always mean you get the most targets.

– Don’t forget water, sunscreen, and bug spray.

– And lastly – treat your fellow detectorists with respect.

Read on for Tips You Can Use for when You Host a Seeded Hunt….

So, what can you do to make your next hosted seeded hunt better? Try these tips!

– Have the members clear the hunt site in low discrimination and bury little rewards to encourage their cooperation.

– In the actual hunt, marked pulltabs could win prizes- and lengthen the hunt!
– Some prizes, if there are trees or landmarks, can have prizes placed in them to emphasize it’s sometimes more than just watching a coil.

– Cakes or other member donated objects can be auctioned off with the proceeds going to the club.

– Early bird pinpoint hunt. A long stretch of coins or tokens can placed where the attendees have only about 10 seconds to locate and retrieve- shallow targets. Finally, a prize for most trash recovered.

– Good luck! – Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good… wish you GOOD LUCK:cool:

---- To all who shared your tips, you're the real rock stars.

Got a tip..share it here :)

Line-1 you say:

– You want a coil that has enough size to cover as much ground as possible but that you can also pinpoint with accurately. It’s all about speed and target recovery during a seeded hunt.

Line-7 you say:
– Do Not use a big coil. There is no need for a 13″ coil when doing a seeded hunt. Use a smaller, elliptical coil if you have one. It will also cut down on interference by providing a field that does not extend past the coil edges.

You may want to remove one of them.

Here are my tips:

Try to find out from the hunt master what types of coins will be getting scattered. One time I found out that steel pennies would be included. So I set the discrimination accordingly. Got a lot of steel pennies that day, while most everyone else was discriminating them out.

Seeded hunts are surface targets and there will be many hunters at close quarters so set the sensitivity down low to minimize interference from other, nearby coils.

Something like a 4"X6" DD is an ideal coil to aid in fast pin pointing and minimizing adjacent coil interference.

Don't spend anytime examining your find, quickly put it in your pouch and move on!

If you can't quickly find the target after pin pointing, it's probably a buried target (not one of the seeded coins), so don't waste time and move on! (All the seeded hunts I've participated in don't allow digging, unless it is a beach seeded hunt).

If it is a beach seeded hunt, use a wire mesh – short handle scoop. The mesh (rather than holes) will let the dry sand run out faster and the short handle will let you get at the coin in the scoop faster.

great tips! They certainly helped me last year.

One thing that surprised me last year was how deep people dug and how horribly some people leave a mess!

Got to watch your not disc out the good stuff either, i pulled this coin on a seeded hunt last year, this year a guy hit a gold ring.
Here's a vid of the event, real good fun day out!
https://youtu.be/xB4csdtbSAM

Attachments

• image_zpsbnevfymg.jpg
    image_zpsbnevfymg.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 980
Back
Top Bottom