Cleaning red nickels?

midwest

Elite Member
I have some buffalo nickels that are not key dates. I dug them, and they are redish in color. I have been afraid to clean them, but now I want to try and get that color off so they can somewhat try to look like an actual nickel again. Any suggestion on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Before I run out to get it. Do I rub it on the coin, or soak it, and for how long? I have never heard of "navel jelly" before, and that's why I'm asking.

First let me state if a coin is a key date I never clean it, but all common date coins I clean to some degree, for nickels o have tried many methods, best and quickest way I have found is to use a SOS pad and rub it under running water. SOS pads are extremely fine steel wool and do not scratch nickel. I have tried vinegar and salt and it pits the nickel.

You can get phosphoric acid as a spray in what is called "rust converter" or true navel jelly in a jar. You hardware store may have one, both, or neither possibly. Just follow the directions on the label.

First let me state if a coin is a key date I never clean it, but all common date coins I clean to some degree, for nickels o have tried many methods, best and quickest way I have found is to use a SOS pad and rub it under running water. SOS pads are extremely fine steel wool and do not scratch nickel. I have tried vinegar and salt and it pits the nickel.

Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel.

I did try the navel jelly. I'm scared to soak them longer than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I soaked them three times at 5, 5, & 10 minute intervals. I will say they are better than what they were. They were really red and hard to see, and now they are a peach color and very easy to see. Nervous to go any further though. I toasted an ih before, and dont want to make the same mistake. Thanks for the help, but I don't think they will ever shine the way they did when minted, but at least you can see them now. Happy.

I did try the navel jelly. I'm scared to soak them longer than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I soaked them three times at 5, 5, & 10 minute intervals. I will say they are better than what they were. They were really red and hard to see, and now they are a peach color and very easy to see. Nervous to go any further though. I toasted an ih before, and dont want to make the same mistake. Thanks for the help, but I don't think they will ever shine the way they did when minted, but at least you can see them now. Happy.

You did good Midwest. Here's the thing. Coins other than silver and gold generally will never look good after they have been in the ground for a long time. Some will look better than others depending on if the ground is hard on them or not. The more iron or nickel content of the coin the worse they tend to be. Modern clad coins are copper planchets with a copper-nickel layer over the planchet. Not Zincolns though. Copper-nickel is basically the stuff that an entire nickel is made of. After just a year or so a clad dime or quarter will be turning black. After 6 years or so it will start turning red color (rust) and the copper planchet will start to become brittle like a copper penny that has been in the ground for ages. So your nickels are red because they are a composition mostly copper and nickel. The nickel is what is starting to oxidize. The bottom line is your nickels will never be shiny, silvery looking if they have been in the ground and starting to oxidize. Clad dimes, quarters, halves, and Ike dollars if they have been in the ground for a long time will never shine either. The best they come out is a dull gray color.

You could probably let them set for another 15 minutes or so, but they will probably start to turn a dull gray from all the oxidation being eaten away. But if you're satisfied with them that's all that matters. :thumbsup: Soaking them too long will definitely cause the art work, date, etc to dissolve because that's what mother nature has already attacked and oxidized most.

G.

getting that silvery lustre back on clad coins or nickels

If you get the coin looking gray, you can restore that new coin silvery lustre by running a brass wire brush dremel wheel lightly over the coin. It is too soft to scratch the coin, but will polish it. Vinegar and salt will get the coin to the point of being gray, or close to gray, the dremel wire wheel will take it the rest of the way. Vinegar and salt can cause copper deposits to migrate to the surface and stain the coin pink in spots. The dremel wire wheel can largely remove that pink copper deposit as well.

Check out my avatar here. The band portion of that ring, and the "corona" frame around the Chief's head, was made from nickel coins. It was all dark brown when i dug it up.

Back
Top Bottom