Hello from South Florida

tarawa

Forum Supporter
Hi,
I started metal detecting back in the 70's after purchasing a White's 4000D (I believe) from a friend in Pa. I had a great time detecting the old parks and picnic grounds near my home town, but never found any real treasure....except maybe my Flash Gordon decoder ring!
Family and work got in the way of detecting and I put the old 4000D in the attic. I moved to Palm Beach County, Florida in '89 and never really thought about detecting until I retired (sort of) in 2014. I mainly just started watching youtube videos about beach hunting.
This week I bit the bullet and purchased a Garretts AT Max online and it was delivered today. I am on temporary assignment in Homestead Florida so if anyone local to here wants to meet up for a hunt, let me know.

Honestly, the beach is the best place to learn your detector. Stay in the soft sand and dig everything. Most of the time you won't even need to go to the ground to dig or scoop, just use your foot to move the sand from your target.
You should have a great time detecting those South Fl. beaches. I don't live there, but on a few trips to South beach & Hollywood I did ok. Early morning you see many others out there detecting, cause they do get crowded with people as the sun comes up. GL
DL

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully now I will have some time to get out.

Welcome to the hobby. I was stationed in Homestead from March 1973 to April 75. Wish I would of had a detector then. Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on the AT Max that I purchased....technology came a long way in 35 years or so ! Unfortunately my brain hasn't kept up. I see that there is a metal detecting club in Palm Beach. I probably should join and meet up with some local detectors.

Back
Top Bottom