1964 wedding band advice needed

Mike78

I found a wedding band at a lake in New Hampshire that has the initials J.S. TO B.M. and a specific date in 1964. I was wondering the odds of finding the owner with only this information as I'd like to return it if possible. Where do I start?

That's a difficult one. Not like a class ring that holds lots of info, a band with initials and date is not much to go on, you don't know how long ago it was lost or if the person that lost it is even still looking for it. The only real chance you have is get hold of your local news paper or station to see if their interested in helping. By far the best is social media. One posting on FB that gets shared enough times and goes viral has resulted in many returns. Good luck DL

Maybe try searching church records for that general area? Considering the owner could be from anywhere, I don't know what kind of luck you'll have, but at least you're trying. But I'd start locally and work from there.

I found a wedding band at a lake in New Hampshire that has the initials J.S. TO B.M. and a specific date in 1964. I was wondering the odds of finding the owner with only this information as I'd like to return it if possible. Where do I start?

It's a great thought Mike. But the chances of finding the owner with that little bit of info. Is a very long shot. I've tried with the same start as you and to no avail. It pretty much has to have the persons name on it. Good thought anyway. Congrats on the find.

That's a tough one. Maybe here's the angle to work from. Assuming the year 1964 is the year married. A person could assume you are talking about a couple that are around 67 years old give or take a little. (Women generally married a little younger than men.

I'm not sure how marriage license are kept in court houses--I would say by month and year---but I'm unsure. And you have to be in the county's courthouse where the license was issued.

And this specific date you have may help out. And some states have digitized a lot of their records and are kept at the state level. So you might use the first letter of the last names on the ring, along with this specific date and get some info.

It would be great if you could return it.

I ran into the same issue with a wedding band I found. It had initials and full date. I searched court records for the area called the school where I found it..thinking it was a teacher. I finally gave up.

Thanks for all the replies. I figured it was a long shot to find the owner. The area where I found the ring is a popular vacation spot for people from the surrounding states and beyond. I'm sure the ring was in the lake for years based on how deep and tarnished it was.

Here is the problem. EACH county has their own records. I tried a few counties on one and never had any luck myself. You can TRY on the state level and see if ANYBODY is willing to go through the records on that date to see if the initials match but I never had luck here. You would THINK that with the initials of the last names they could just find them easy knowing the date. Not in Michigan.

Wish you success. I tried and tried and gave up on those rings.

Another thought is last year they would have had their 50th anniversary if still alive and still married. Maybe look through the papers last year in your area and see if there is any announcement?

Make an ad on craigs list if it is in your area(in lost and found) Just say found ring but require the person to describe inscription on it. You could reveal the date but not the letters. Make em prove it is his/hers.

Back
Top Bottom