Half-dime?

Donneybrook

Elite Member
Nearly two years ago I found my first silver coin, this 1839-O half-dime. As you can see its very tarnished and dirty. Its somewhat hard to see the back. Should i use the famed tin foil method to clean it? Would it diminish the value? I'm never selling it but i wouldn't want to hurt the coin's value. It has a strong full LIBERTY. It also has a small die crack near Lady Liberty's elbow. That wouldn't matter in using the tin foil method right? I've wanted to clean her for so long but i've been scared. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 515
my opinion

I would leave it as is as many cleaning methods damage coins but that's just me. You will get different opinions. A lot of guys are like "if it's not that valuable I want to clean it so it looks better." That's a personal choice... I did not clean my 1868 Indian Head.

I guess if I were you I would weigh the pros and cons with a professional. My coin book written by the president of the Professional Coin Grading Service advises against cleaning coins beyond running them under the tap and patting dry with 100% cotton cloth.

Like I said you will get varying opinions on this and guys saying if it doesn't have a high monetary value it doesn't matter and you don't need to be careful. I just treat every old coin I have as if it's worth a lot because someday it could be... and even if not, it's a piece of history and I like leaving it the way it is. I do run the coins under water and pat them dry, however, to remove dirt before placing the coin in a protective case. It is good that you have protected your coin.

Anyway, sweet find! :grin:

I would leave it as is as many cleaning methods damage coins but that's just me. You will get different opinions. A lot of guys are like "if it's not that valuable I want to clean it so it looks better." That's a personal choice... I did not clean my 1868 Indian Head.

I guess if I were you I would weigh the pros and cons with a professional. My coin book written by the president of the Professional Coin Grading Service advises against cleaning coins beyond running them under the tap and patting dry with 100% cotton cloth.

Like I said you will get varying opinions on this and guys saying if it doesn't have a high monetary value it doesn't matter and you don't need to be careful. I just treat every old coin I have as if it's worth a lot because someday it could be... and even if not, it's a piece of history and I like leaving it the way it is. I do run the coins under water and pat them dry, however, to remove dirt before placing the coin in a protective case. It is good that you have protected your coin.

Anyway, sweet find! :grin:

thanks for the input. As much as it pains me, i'm probably just gonna have to leave it. i used it on some junk silver coins i had that i'm gonna sell once silver goes up. They didn't look near as great as i hoped so im just gonna leave it.

If you want to clean it the only way to do it right without damage is electrolysis. I posted a thread about it with links to some of the best videos on it.

the foil method should not effect value. just be careful and watch it. pat dry no rubbing. if your no going to sell it anyways go for it.

I asked the same question about my V nickel that I found last month. Cleaning it really wouldn't hurt the value since it's not worth much to start with. However, I haven't tried yet, it's still the same as the day that I dug it out of the ground. Although, it would be nice if cleaned so that I can see a little more of the detail but haven't tried yet, not sure at this point.:?:

i screwed up two blue green v nickels out of the dirt. now cant see the details. i soaked them in cleaners. no key date or anything-- no value on them. should have left them alone. i will do the foil hotwater baking soda on a silver coin of no significant value, but cleaning sometimes actually lessens the details.

The foil method works great but if you haven't done it before I would practice on some other coins first. With that much oxidation only let the foil touch the coin for a few seconds then clean then repeat the process. The foil will stick to it if you leave it for too long. It's lost its collectable value by being buried in the ground for years and if you want it shiny then clean it. The value at this point is for you and not as collectable.

I used the baking soda/aluminum foil method on this repousse' dime I dug last summer. Worked great, but this is on a $75 piece. I wouldn't attempt this technique with anything of real value...

Attachments

• KIMG0002.jpg
    KIMG0002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 385
  • KIMG0003.jpg
    KIMG0003.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 365
  • KIMG0203.jpg
    KIMG0203.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 366
Donney, you can definitely increase the eye appeal of that coin.

First for the purists, most of the stuff you read about NOT cleaning coins they are just repeating what they heard, and most of that is in regard to MS coins, this one has been in and out of a "few" pockets.

What I would use first is a white tooth paste like crest for one example, with a little water rub it between your fingers, you'll see the black coming off, check your progress, continue as desired. This is a good method as the relief gets a bit cleaner than the background flat areas.

I don't have a before picture of this coin, but it was completely black, I cleaned it "just enough" and it has IMO great eye appeal, it is a valueable coin too 1862 NewBrunswick 10 cents with double punched 2, it made banner and no one suggested that it was a cleaned coin.

Coincidence, mine also has a die crack at the O in Victoria.

PS been a coin collector all my life. Wanna buy a double eagle ? This WILL NOT hurt your coin, no more than say going into one more cotton pocket.

Attachments

• find13-1h.jpg
    find13-1h.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 273
  • find13-1j.jpg
    find13-1j.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 285
IMO you can sometimes increase the value by cleaning a "dug" coin... Some of them you cant even tell what the coin is...

If it looks like hell and you cant even see the date its only really worth scrap anyway. If you clean it properly and it looks 100% better it could be worth slightly more...

YMMV....

<*)))>{

I think it's a matter of personal choice. I've learned the hard way early on, that even light cleaning can eliminate details on certain coins.

I know a guy that doesn't even wash the dirt off his old finds, and stores them that way.

Back
Top Bottom