How does everybody clean wheat Cents

MattLock

Elite Member
Anyone have something better than soaking in soapy water that works to get them nice looking.

Mine get tumbled, I'm happy with my results...

IMG_5074_zps8d368cb1.jpg

<°)))>{

Yeah, I tumble mine too....these ones from yesterday out of Lake Michigan..there were 5 wheats in this mess...
Mud

Attachments

• sept 28-16.jpg
    sept 28-16.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 489
Here is a photo of my just cleaned wheaties. They were tumbled about four hours in a 12lb tumbler with 5 lb. of aquarium gravel with a few drops of dish soap, along with all my non-rare wheat cents, copper memorial cents and zinc cents. The "shiny one" in the middle was tumbled an extra two hours :foottap: along with the zinc cents, to try and clean off the corrosion on Lincoln's face. That was still not enough time, as you can see.

Attachments

• cleaned wheaties_1419-800.jpg
    cleaned wheaties_1419-800.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 562
Tumbled in white acquarium gravel, covered with water, a squirt of blue Dawn detergent, a splash of white vinegar and a splash of bleach. Tumble 4 hours. Does the job.

I tumble mine also, but first I check for key dates.
I tumble for no more than 30 minutes to keep damage to a minimum.
Too bad many wheats turn 'purple' and lose that nice patina!

For a speedy clean up that does great, try about a cup of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Put them in a container and shake for a minute. Let it sit about five minutes and shake again. Then rinse off and most will be very shinny just like new. Since I've started doing this, I never tumble pennys. This does better job (shinny) and doesn't waste time. Add more soak time if really cruddy. GL Tom

Back
Top Bottom