Enlighten me...

RCHunter

Well, I have a question... I am no numismatic(?) expert
and I am sure to get a variety of answers but, I would like opinions..

Why is 'patina' and the 'aged' look SO important for coins and their value?

I personally do not plan on selling any of my coins (unless I happen across one that is worth a metric butt ton of money), and I do not like that old, pocket worn/green/dull look. I ocassionally take the few silver coins I have and give them a light rub with a jewerly cloth. No hard rubbing/chemicals bath's etc. I just like that 'clean' look.
The reason behind this is that I was curious about one of my coins and asked here and a Facebook group (ID Me) their thoughts, and I consistently got "it was cleaned, so not much".... Please explain
Thank you,

The main reason cleaned coins are undesirable? The reason is: because almost all methods of cleaning coins damage them in some way, leaving microscopic abrasions and nicks that, even if not visible to the naked eye, drastically reduce a coin's collective value. There are many people here and elsewhere who will say that it doesn't matter if the coin is not that valuable to begin with and that they'd rather have a shiny coin. So it does come down to personal preference. But I personally won't do anything that could potentially harm my coins, even if they're not that valuable. For a couple reasons. First, the coin could be valuable someday. Secondly, they are pieces of history and I hate the idea of damaging them.

Now obviously, I am not going to put a dug coin caked with dirt into my collection. There are ways of "cleaning" coins that reduce the risk of damage. My coin book, written by the president of the Professional Coin Grading Service, Ron Guth, recommends for especially dirty coins, to flick dirt off with a paintbrush, then run the coin under warm water, and finally, pat (don't RUB) it dry with a 100% cotton cloth (some paper and cloth fibers will scratch coins). Alternatively, for really stubborn dirt, the book suggests soaking the coin in olive oil for a couple of days, then carefully dislodging dirt particles with a toothpick. Other methods of cleaning coins, such as "whizzing" (using a polishing brush on a coin), "erasing" blemishes and repeated chemical dipping are damaging to coins and almost always adversely affect a coin's value. There is no scarier phrase to a collector or coin dealer than to hear that a coin has been cleaned. All dealers are taught to be suspicious of coins that appear unnaturally bright and clean for their age, since this often means they have undergone harsh and damaging cleaning methods.

I can't tell you if you should clean your coins or not, I can just say that I don't, beyond running a coin underwater and "patting" it dry.

Circulated coins will have some wear. The natural patina is hard to fake, but you can buy a lot of fake old looking coins, that are shiny, and seem to show signs of wear. Think it's going to be very rare, for us to dig up coins, in collector quality. Happens, but not that often. Something rare, or very desirable, it's not going to matter much, it's worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay. I don't know a huge amount about coin collecting, but with anything collectable, once altered, seldom can it be returned to it's previous state. Usually, as original as possible, is the most desired.

If it's for your own personal enjoyment, no interest in selling or value, clean it all you want, it's yours, and what ever makes you happy. If you keep it for potential future sale, or something of value set aside for sale if need in the future, something to hand down to the children, probably best to leave it alone. Old coins, only get older, and more difficult to find a decent example. Some where along the way, someone is really going to want that coin for their collection.

How would you clean a bunch of clad before putting back into circulation? I detect local state parks and find lots of newer money but very grubby. I would like to clean it up before I turn it in to the bank.

Your thoughts please.

Back
Top Bottom