Civil War Vets Medal Find

mcdoogal

Elite Member
I got off from work at 5 AM today and decided to hit the grassy between the street and the sidewalk of our office. The neigborhood is an older one settled with homes in the early 1900's. I found some trash and 2 Linc cents in an hour and a half. Several looky Lou's and a couple of quick conversations with dog walkers. I then get a strong signal from my MD that puts me in mid of near surface silver. When I dig my target I find a civil war veterans medal dated April 1906. My 1st medal! I did my little happy dance. {the dog walkers left me alone after that} I fished for another half hour (found another penny) and took my prize home. I researched the meadal on the internet and found it to be a "United Confederate Vetrans" organization medal. My find is only the bottom portion. It once had a bar with "Vetran" imprinted and chains to the bottom part I found. I guess the vetran bar was pinned to a coat or sirt and the chains broke, resulting in my find. The whole medal if valued at $200 - $250 on a couple of sites I found. No sale for me - this one goes in my treasure chest. :spin:

Attachments

• Medal Found Place.jpg
    Medal Found Place.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 570
  • medal.jpg
    medal.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 570
I got off from work at 5 AM today and decided to hit the grassy between the street and the sidewalk of our office. The neigborhood is an older one settled with homes in the early 1900's. I found some trash and 2 Linc cents in an hour and a half. Several looky Lou's and a couple of quick conversations with dog walkers. I then get a strong signal from my MD that puts me in mid of near surface silver. When I dig my target I find a civil war veterans medal dated April 1906. My 1st medal! I did my little happy dance. {the dog walkers left me alone after that} I fished for another half hour (found another penny) and took my prize home. I researched the meadal on the internet and found it to be a "United Confederate Vetrans" organization medal. My find is only the bottom portion. It once had a bar with "Vetran" imprinted and chains to the bottom part I found. I guess the vetran bar was pinned to a coat or sirt and the chains broke, resulting in my find. The whole medal if valued at $200 - $250 on a couple of sites I found. No sale for me - this one goes in my treasure chest. :spin:

Great find for the 4th of July.:D

very nice

great looking medal Mcdoogal , cool piece of history ya found there.

Very cool find! Relics like that have a lot more meaning than any coin! To think the last person to probably touch that was a Civil War Vet that survived the war. Amazing!

Welcome to our detecting family. That is a neat find and certainly worth keeping with the rest of your "treasures". Hope you find many more collectible items. Now for the silver and gold!!:yes:

No gold yet but I have two silver rings and a couple of silver Rosies. Come to think of it, I did find a little gold once. I found a gold blated 1975 Rosie that looks like it was part of some jewelry. The Medal made for a great find today and I am looking forward to the morning. I am a member of one of the local MD clubs here in Houston and we are doing a clean up hunt in the main city park. After all the fireworks and revelry tonight we hope to fiind some fresh drops. It will definitely be an early morning since the temps have been 100+ by afternoon for the last week.

Really beautiful Confederate medal. Much beauty than Yankee's could be :D
Congratulation! I like war relicts

Back
Top Bottom