Coil size? What's the difference?

Alejandro

Hello,

I have seen many detectors with different coil sizes, but I am most interested (now) in buying an Excalibur II but it comes in two sizes. 8" and 10". What is the difference? My gut says 10" inch is better because it is bigger, but I really don't know if that makes any sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Bigger is normally better for beach hunting, more depth and more ground coverage per sweep.

Smaller coil will be slightly easier to swing through the water, and allows you to stick the coil in the hole to find the target easier on deep targets. Smaller coils have more compact fields, and in turn will be slightly more sensitive to smaller gold when compared to the bigger coil.

I always go for the biggest coil available.

It's not the size of your coil it's how you use it! :D sorry I just had today it. As the other guy posted the bigger coil does go deeper but I have experienced first hand with my AT Pro that in a trashy sit it can make picking out good targets a real problem. You may have 5 nails and a larger piece of iron trash along with a silver dime. I would talk to people who have your type of machine and see what the general consensus is for the sweet spot. With the at pro most believe the 5x8 is better than the stock 8.5x11 for this reason. I tend to agree... I miss the coverage sometime until I get in a trashy area.

Ecalibur coil size

In the water you have more drag and will find you will get tired more easy. I had my Excalibur 800 switched to a 10 inch coil after swinging the 8 inch coil for years. After swinging the 10 inch coil for a few months I send it back and had the 8 inch coil put back on.
I love the Excalibur and what it does. Water hunting is great fun for me and helps keep me cool during the hot days of the year. Water hunting i fun for some but others try it and soon go back to land hunting. Good luck in your search.

they are basically the same it is just the the 10 covers more ground alot of people like the 8 inch and alot of people like the 10 inch its all about a preferance

Back
Top Bottom