Monster silver on Kirakira Beach

MarkTwa8n

I had a very memorable hunt last Saturday night with four other fine hunters. I am still researching some of the history of where we were and what we found, and I will write about that a little latter.

This morning however, I did a quick 2 hour hunt after dropping my son off at school. I decided on Kirakira beach because it is not too far from me, less than an hour, and I hadn't hunted that beach in a long time. I had never been there in the day time anyway.

kirakira.jpg

I pulled into the parking lot and got my gear out of the trunk. It was bitterly cold. I know you guys hunting in freezing temperatures in the snow and ice will laugh, but here in Okinawa, 40 degrees is very cold. I even needed a jacket.

Last time I was here, I had hunted the swimming side of the beach, so today I thought I would hunt the beach volleyball courts. A few young guys were sweeping the beach with large rakes. It had been windy the last few days and some foul-smelling seaweed washed up on the beach. Other than them, I had the beach to myself.

I quickly scooped up a few pulltabs, when a lady walked up to me. She nearly flinched when she realized that I was an American, and she said that metal detecting was not allowed on this beach. I told her that I understood, but a friend had lost a ring here and I was looking for it. I would only spend an hour or so looking for it, and then I would leave. I know...that's stretching the truth a bit.... but everyone is my friend right? Surely one of my friends lost a ring on this beach....right? She seemed to sigh in relief that I was speaking Japanese. She said OK and good luck, and to let her know if I found it, pointing over to the concession area where she would be.

I worked as quickly as I could. I had a large beach to hunt and not a lot of time. Usually I dig every thing, but today I skipped the obvious pull tabs. I found about 1,000 yen ($12) in clad coins, and then I started to find some jewelry.

The really nice thing about my Garrett GTI 1500, is that when it tells me that I am pinpointing silver, it is always silver. When the machine reads Gold Rings, it is typically a pull tab, but when it says silver, it never disappoints. So I scooped up my first silver target with great anticipation. St. Christopher....patron saint for surfers and travelers.

Interestingly, none of the jewelry was inside the volleyball courts. All of the treasure I found was just outside the courts boundary lines. I imagine the athletes take off their jewelry and set it down on shirts and towels while they play. Afterwards they go to pick up the shirt or towel, sending their trinkets into the sand.

After a few more coins and my time was running out I hit my last target. Silver. I knew it was going to be silver thanks to my machine. I was hoping for a big ring or something interesting, but wow. The biggest ring I have ever seen came up in my scoop. I could feel the weight of it right away.

Here is what I found:
KirakiraBeachFinds.jpg

In the background is a silver St. Christopher medal, 2 silver necklace pendants both have little diamond chips in them and three silver rings. One is quite small, the 2nd is big, and the one upfront is the huge one. It is marked inside as Chrome Hearts Sterling 1992. I quickly found this ring for sale online and was shocked to see this ring retailing for over $1,000 Really? It's silver and heavy, but why so expensive? Here is a link of a vendor selling this same ring:
http://en.item.rakuten.com/ams-la/cr19/

As I left, I passed by the office to let the lady know I found the ring. Usually, I would have just left, but the lady seemed nice and I couldn't help but show off that huge silver ring. She lit up when she saw it and said, "Oh good, you found it. By the way, do you do this often? Could you give me your cell phone number? Sometimes guests lose things, and it would be nice to give them your number and hopefully you could find it for a reward or something."

I gave her my number. and this got me to thinking. I ought to have business cards printed up or something. I talk to security guards and resort staff all the time. Anyone else ever do this? Are there any problems with this idea that I am not seeing?

Good Hunting

RD

Sounds like a noble cause to me! If you get called, you may have to come dressed with a cape though because you'll be regarded as a hero! :neo: Nice silver and hunt for just a hour! :goodjob:

wow what a nice ring! If its worth $1,000 Thats one hell of a find! Congrats!

Sweet rings, well done! That looks like a great spot, too bad it's going to be awhile before you can claim a friend lost a ring there again!

Nice finds! Does your ring have the same writing on the inside as the one advertised for sale on the link you attached?

Oooh, niiice! I wouldn't mind digging if she calls you with a lost item. I think if the item was important enough, you'd rake it in in clad AND reward money.

One thing that might get you invited back would be to display all of the trash that you pick up. This woman seems to be genuinly interested in "her" beach so if you show her all of the trash that you can pick up, especially the sharp dangerous types, you might just have yourself unlimited permission to hunt that beach.

Next time you go there, take some slaw and other sharp trash that you have found in various places and show her. "By the way, I found this here too and I always remove it when I dig it up." Not entirely true but, given a few hours, you can make it true. Ofcourse, that means you have to dig the trash but hey, if it means possible gold targets, seems like a good proposition.

I dont like to lie or be deceptive however, I am recalling you're statement of pasing over known trash targets in favor of making good use of your limited time. Had you not done that, you would have had a bag of trash anyways...and maybe some gold.

You might be amazed how a good business card and one sandy hypodermic needle "found in the vollyball area" will get you in good graces with some folks.

I mention this because some guys at the lake were wanting to mess with me. I had a permit and I paid entry fee to the park. When I showed them all of the trash I was hauling out, they became quite friendly and respective. They also looked for holes and asked me where they were. "I don't leave holes". They wave to me now when they see me.

damn I'm long winded for my first post in nearly a year. Sorry.

$0.02

Coolwhips :cool:

i always save your posts for the last when im going through the forums because i know it will be the best. well done on the rings and on all your other finds. im impressed!

One thing that might get you invited back would be to display all of the trash that you pick up. This woman seems to be genuinly interested in "her" beach so if you show her all of the trash that you can pick up, especially the sharp dangerous types, you might just have yourself unlimited permission to hunt that beach.

Next time you go there, take some slaw and other sharp trash that you have found in various places and show her. "By the way, I found this here too and I always remove it when I dig it up." Not entirely true but, given a few hours, you can make it true. Ofcourse, that means you have to dig the trash but hey, if it means possible gold targets, seems like a good proposition.

I dont like to lie or be deceptive however, I am recalling you're statement of pasing over known trash targets in favor of making good use of your limited time. Had you not done that, you would have had a bag of trash anyways...and maybe some gold.

You might be amazed how a good business card and one sandy hypodermic needle "found in the vollyball area" will get you in good graces with some folks.

I mention this because some guys at the lake were wanting to mess with me. I had a permit and I paid entry fee to the park. When I showed them all of the trash I was hauling out, they became quite friendly and respective. They also looked for holes and asked me where they were. "I don't leave holes". They wave to me now when they see me.

damn I'm long winded for my first post in nearly a year. Sorry.

$0.02

Coolwhips :cool:

You may not have posted in a year but what your wrote expresses a lot of wisdom and common sence. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom