• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minneapolis and St. Paul Minnesota parks

osgoor

Did some research on the rules for MD'g in the two cities parks. I wrote to the city parks people and received replies from both departments.

Minneapolis - MD'g is ok just dont leave any holes. No specific regulations provided.

St. Paul - MD'g is allowed but "NO DIGGING" at all anywhere in their parks. They provided a document with the specific rules and regulations.

Just FYI for all of us locals here.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post the answer if anyone still wanted it. This is pulled directly from the St. Paul Parks Website...

Section 3: General Conduct on Park Property
a. Entering into any pond, fountain, cave, designated natural area, native plant area or restored natural area is not allowed.
b. Placing any foreign object, solid or liquid into the water of any lake, pond, pool or fountain is not allowed.
c. Tossing coins into, and removing coins from fountains, lakes or ponds on any park property is not allowed.
d. Digging holes, cutting trees or plants, attaching signs to trees or damaging any park property is not allowed.
e. Harassing or otherwise disturbing wildlife in any manner is not allowed. Fishing is allowed in designated areas - see Chapter 4, Section 10 of these RULES.
f. Garbage, bottles, cans, paper, and other refuse shall be placed in designated trash receptacles.
g. Glass containers are not allowed in any

help

Hi there Im new to the group

I would like to ask do I need to get a permission slip to dig in Minneapolis parks? If I do, Where can I get one? or who do I need to contact Thanks you
:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

help

Did some research on the rules for MD'g in the two cities parks. I wrote to the city parks people and received replies from both departments.

Minneapolis - MD'g is ok just dont leave any holes. No specific regulations provided.

St. Paul - MD'g is allowed but "NO DIGGING" at all anywhere in their parks. They provided a document with the specific rules and regulations.

Just FYI for all of us locals here.

I would like to ask do I need to get a permission slip to dig in Minneapolis parks? If I do, Where can I get one? or who do I need to contact Thanks you

fatty85, this is an old thread, but ..... if you go back to the OP's text, I think your question is answered there:

"MD'g is ok just dont leave any holes. No specific regulations provided."

No permission slip is talked about as being needed. And as far as "permission", well .... that information IS your "permission". No need to ask more questions of any authorities. Never argue with a "yes" :wow:

fatty85, this is an old thread, but ..... if you go back to the OP's text, I think your question is answered there:

"MD'g is ok just dont leave any holes. No specific regulations provided."

No permission slip is talked about as being needed. And as far as "permission", well .... that information IS your "permission". No need to ask more questions of any authorities. Never argue with a "yes" :wow:[/QUOT

Thanks a lot Tom The reason I ask again is that I'm confuse. I want to make sure, I heard and read thread, people saying that I DO to need to get a paper to give permission to MD'g in Minneapolis MN .

d. Digging holes, cutting trees or plants, attaching signs to trees or damaging any park property is not allowed.

So, how is the interpreted, if you will in the hole, it is the same as "digging holes"? I mean, digging holes sounds like you are just digging and leaving a hole in the ground.

I have never been stopped for MD in St Paul parks to date, even with park workers right near....I had a couple park working asking me what I had found....

So, how is the interpreted, if you will in the hole, it is the same as "digging holes"? I mean, digging holes sounds like you are just digging and leaving a hole in the ground.

I have never been stopped for MD in St Paul parks to date, even with park workers right near....I had a couple park working asking me what I had found....

Angry1541,

When those park workers paid you no mind, question for you: Did they see you dig any targets, and still pay you no mind ? Or come over to warn you "don't dig" ?

To answer your starting question about a) dig , versus b) dig & leave holes:

What if the word semantics in dispute was "alter" or "deface" ? The a *reasonable* person would figure that if he left no trace (no holes), then OBVIOUSLY he hasn't alterED or defacED anything. Hence in compliance. Those words obviously refer to the end-result. Right ?

But ask yourself: what is the difference between alter and alterED ? Only present tense versus past tense of the same word. Right ? Thus with that in mind: what's the difference between dig and dug ? SAME THING ! just present versus past tense. We simply don't spell it "diggED" is all.

But this is all silly in the first place: If, as you say yourself, no one cares, then , presto: no one cares. If you want to look up minutia and worry yourself to death, and ask all sort of lawyers, you can probably find a "no" to just about any activity on the planet.

....This is pulled directly from the St. Paul Parks Website...

Section 3: General Conduct on Park Property
.....removing coins from fountains, lakes or ponds on any park property is not allowed.
d. Digging holes, cutting trees or plants, attaching signs to trees or damaging any park property is not allowed.....

vex-hold, not sure if you're still around anymore (this is an old thread). But if you are, then do-tell: Where did you get this ? St. Paul's park's dept. website rules no longer have it in this way-of-wording.

I followed it through , starting from their city website, down to the parks, and then down to the ordinances. And here's what it currently says:

" No person shall climb any tree, or pluck any flower or fruit, whether wild or cultivated, or break, cut down, trample upon or remove, or in any manner injure or deface any statue, ornament, tree, plant, shrub, flower, flowerbed, turf or any of the buildings"

I even used the key-word search function for "dig" and "digging". And no such verbage exists. That's not to say that someone couldn't say that "deface" doesn't apply. But if that's the case, then it gets to the point where you can cross-off every park in the USA. Because all parks have something that could be construed accordingly. If you squinted hard, stood on one foot, and asked enough bored park pencil pushers.

Back
Top Bottom