I'm new from Upstate NY

Peat Monster

Hello all, im Patrick. Im waiting on my first metal detector to arrive tomorrow. I went with a Fisher F5 because the majority of the reviews i read were positive. I have a few places in mind to start searching. I live on a 40 acre farm where I plan on learning how to use the detector and when I feel comfortable I plan on searching the bank along the Erie Canal near my home. The one side of the canal is overgrown and has been for atleast the last 30 or 40 years and I hope I can manage my way through and find something nice. Anyways, I'm glad this site exists, I plan on visiting often and will post anything I find of any signifigance. If anyone is from Oneida or Madison County's please feel free to message me as I'd like to meet some people interested in metal detecting.

Thanks Patrick

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm new as well. I've been locating for just a couple weeks. I'm constantly getting better at identifying targets so I don't dig up nails, pull tabs etc. I dug up everything at first after taking note of everything the detector was telling me. I'm slowly learning what to skip by the information the detector is giving me. It takes time.

I'm also getting better at pinpointing exactly where to dig a hole. I'm getting so I dig a hole just big enough for my hand to reach in. This is helpful at parks where I don't wish to harm the park.

I've found a few bucks in unremarkable change, a horse shoe, an old cap gun toy, a couple matchbox cars, a necklace pendant I lost in the yard when I was a teen, a whole lot of garbage at first, and a pretty earring. It's likely glass or some other fake diamond like material but I'll figure out how to tell for sure. It's part of the learning curve i guess. The setting came up as doubtlessly silver on my detectors scale though.

Be patient and you'll figure things out as you go. Good luck.

Welcome from NC. I was born in Oneonta, and still have family there as well as Andies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom