Put my war nickel in a lemon

campnagle

Elite Member
War nickels from the ground here come with a thick ooze of a tar like substance for some reason. Ive had a dozen over the years like this.
This 1942 S, (my best guess) is a prime example.
After several hours tumbling with some clad I got a giant lemon from my tree and inserted it. I will leave it for a couple days and tumble again.

Attachments

• lemon war nickle 002 (Small).JPG
    lemon war nickle 002 (Small).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,169
  • lemon war nickle 001 (Small).JPG
    lemon war nickle 001 (Small).JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,134
  • lemon war nickle 004 (Small).JPG
    lemon war nickle 004 (Small).JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • lemon war nickle 005 (Small).JPG
    lemon war nickle 005 (Small).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,072
They come out of the ground in Utah with that crazy black stuff on them too. I wrap them in a towel and smack them with a hammer.

I smack them with a hammer too to get the layer of black crust off then soak in lemon juice over night and rub with baking soda. Cleans them nicely.

This is as good as I can get it, tumble,lemon,tumble,steel wool and polish.
Also my best guess was off a year.

Attachments

• war nickel 001 (Small).JPG
    war nickel 001 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 932
  • war nickel 004 (Small).JPG
    war nickel 004 (Small).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 915
Nice you got free lemons where you live,they’re pricey here in Pennsylvania...If I stuck a coin in a lemon my old lady would shoot me,especially if it ended up in her water.lol.
Good trick tho,the war nickel looks great 👍

Nice you got free lemons where you live,they’re pricey here in Pennsylvania...If I stuck a coin in a lemon my old lady would shoot me,especially if it ended up in her water.lol.
Good trick tho,the war nickel looks great 👍

Just be sure Woody it’s a gold coin you stick in the lemon, maybe then the old lady wouldn’t shoot you.:lol:

Nice!

I found a war nickel with major crud and did the tin foil, hot water, baking soda method. Looks perfect after many repeated soakings.

If you tumble it.....you ruin it.....simple as that. After tumbling look at it through a 10X loop & you'll see hundreds of nicks & scratches from the clad!

If you tumble it.....you ruin it.....simple as that. After tumbling look at it through a 10X loop & you'll see hundreds of nicks & scratches from the clad!

I tried the peroxide and vinegar method and it pitted the pennies I used. Just for the hell of it, I tried a Dremel with a fine stainless steel brush, it cleaned the penny, but, you can imagine how it wrecked the finish.

Back
Top Bottom