Garrett Pro-Pointer vs. Detectorpro Pistol Probe

Silver Hawk

Elite Member
Field testing the probes (Whites, Sun Ray, Garrett, Detectorpro) while finding a 1782 colonial silver coin!

View Online At: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK4ujXzGQmM

Note:
I have not tested the Detectorpro Pistol Probe myself as of yet, but will be trying one out this week on Thursday or Friday. After I get a chance to field test the unit and compare it with the DX-1, White's Bullseye II, Garrett Pointer and my Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer I’ll posting my findings and thoughts.

I'm looking very much forward to my findings due to the fact that I'm in the market for a new Pinpointer. When I sold my DFX and Minlab Explorer II Detectors my DX-1 was included in my sale of my DFX. I’ve been using an Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer and hoping to get a new pinpointer for Father’s Day.

After using the DX-1, I had made up my mind to go with a hand-held unit and had pretty much decided on the Garrett Pro-Pointer. But my friend sent this YouTube Video and now I’m undecided again! … :?:

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

That guy digs some huge plugs I haven't heard anything about the detectorpro pinpointer. Icewater

After seeing this detector pro definitly is the claer winner,I already use the AutomaxV4 but I got it for free. Howard

Wow, that detectorpro looks great,it's around $170.00 on ebay.I'm happy with my garrett pro-pointer for now.Thanks for the info.My next pinpointer may be the probe.:D

That guy digs some huge plugs I haven't heard anything about the detectorpro pinpointer. Icewater

I thought the same thing. I can see me digging a plug like that at one of the parks I hunt, and the grounds keeper having a stroke! ... :shock:

And I don’t think they’d be letting me do any more metal detecting afterwards … :(

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

After seeing this detector pro definitly is the claer winner,I already use the AutomaxV4 but I got it for free. Howard

I also got my AutomaxV4 for free when I got my MXT from Kellyco. I find it works just fine compared to the White’s Pullseye II and some other hand-held units, even slight better in my opinion. This is why I was in no big rush to put out the money for new Pinpointer. I think my DX-1 went a little deeper (no too much deep though), but for me the hand-held units are easier to use.

If I find this video field test to be half right, I’ll be dropping some serious hints for a Detectorpro Pistol Probe for Father’s Day. If I don’t get one, I’ll just get it for myself.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Wow, that detectorpro looks great,it's around $170.00 on ebay.I'm happy with my garrett pro-pointer for now.Thanks for the info.My next pinpointer may be the probe.:D

The Garrett is a fine unit and is well made. And I hear a lot of very good feedback in regards to the Garrett. I wouldn't be worried about getting anything else if I had one. For me it's not very often at all when I need any more than an inch or two from a poinpointer anyway.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

FWIW, I get 2.25 inches on Garrett ProPointer air testing a nickel (solid at 2 inches). Lined it up on a ruler. He said only about an inch. I think the Garrett works fine in the field, and have never wished for more range. Almost always on the first dig, after the machine tells me how deep it is, the Garrett can see it.

But, I guess if you're digging backhoe-sized holes as he is, you need all the range you can get :) Still looks like a great unit, but perhaps too much range. The idea is to pinpoint, after all. Sometimes I use the Whites to pinpoint further when the Garrett is giving too much range (ok, that's weird, but occasionally I have).

I use a Treasuremate by Tesoro.
Had it for 3 years, has a Lifetime Warranty.

Too bad it wasn't in the Field Test.
I could beat those two with a weak battery.

I have a White's Bullseye II and it hasn't failed me yet. I also bought a DX-1 that is good for pinpointing before I even break ground on up to 3 inch deep targets.

I've been wanting to try one of the PI pinpointers for a long time...I may swing towards the Vibra-Probe 580 because it's waterproof up to 100ft and it doesn't have any switches to wear out.

What really drives me to the Vibra-Probe is that it's waterproof and I could use it in shallow streams. I've had no problems with switches, but I do know they will wear out eventually.

That pistolprobe looks like a good probe...if only it was waterproof.

Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer question.

I just got this one, and it doesn't seem to to work well at all. I wonder if there is something wrong with it or this is normal. It only goes off when I hold a coin within 1/2 inch from it, maybe 3/4 of an inch at most. Is that normal? I have just started out so I have no idea what is expected, but it doesn't seem to be of much help while digging.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't have a Automax...but have you played with the sensitivity?

I have a Bullseye II..what I do is put the tip of the probe on the ground (trash free)...turn the sensitivity all the way up till it starts whistling and then I just slowing dial down the sensitivity until the whistling shuts off. I get about 2 or so inches with it usually on a good battery.

Even when I air test it, I have to hold it about 1/2 inch away before it goes off. I dial the sensitivity to just back from where it is constant.

Sounds like you are doing it right. It might be something wrong with your pin pointer. I'm not familiar with Automax..but any pin pointer should be getting more than 1inch of depth at least.

Are you using new batteries?

Draft Summery PinPointer Testing Report

Hey guys, here is a rough Draft Summery of my PinPointer Testing Report. I along with some metal detecting buddies and a few Techs from the University’s Technology Lab took part in the testing and contributed to the report. This Summery Report is written in Layman’s Terms; however the full report to be summated for publishing will contain more technical details as well as the technical data on the pinpointers/detectors tested.

Note:

The only In-line Probe Tested Was the DX-1. It exceeded or matched the performance of all Frequency Based Hand-held PinPointers. In all but one test it exceeded the performance of all Frequency Based Hand-held PinPointers.

Pinpointer Testing

My groups testing has found the claims made by this video are pretty much dead on. Thought we found the performance of the tested frequency based pinpointers to be slightly better then portrayed by this video.

Frequency Based Pinpointers Tested:

White's Bullseye II, Garrett ProPointer, Automax Precision V4, Treasuremate and Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer

Pulse Pinpointers Tested:

Vibra-Probe 580 & DetectorPro Pistol Probe

Findings:

In our testing we found that most frequency based pinpointers performed very well and were all very comparable to each other in performance. Air testing reached dimes at about 1 to 1 ½ inches, nickels at about 2 inches and quarters at just under 2 ½ inches. And we were able to reach an Eisenhower Dollar at just about 3 inches with most of the frequency based pinpointers in the fairly moist and rich New Jersey soil.

As for the Pulse Pinpointers tested, we all found that the DetectorPro went much deeper then all of the pinpointers tested, including the DX-1. We found that the Garrett ProPointer and Treasuremate went slightly deeper than the other frequency based hand-held pinpointers and were able to reach an Eisenhower Dollar at 3 inches, but they both failed to detect the dollar at 4 inches. The DetectorPro greatly outperformed all others by locking onto the Eisenhower Dollar with ease at 6 inches! The Vibra-Probe 580 locked on at 4 inches but missed at 5 inches. Though the Vibra-Probe 580 didn’t match the awesome detection depth of the DetectorPro, it has some advantages over the DetectorPro. The main two being, it’s Tip-only Detection and most important to me, it’s completely water proof. I also found it much easier to hold and work with due to its design. The DetectorPro was somewhat bulky and awkward to hold.

Technical Note:

Pulse Induction often reaches deeper targets than frequency based detectors/pinpointers and they also operate much better in extreme ground conditions. We found that both pulse pinpointers outperformed the frequency based pinpointers with coins and relics. We also found that they worked very well on small targets. In our testing both Pulse Pinpointers were able to reach a small 14 k Gold Earring Back at 2 ½ inches that all of the frequency based pinpointers missed completely in good ground.

Conclusion:

All of the frequency based hand-held pinpointers performed very well. Some had advantages over others, but these was nothing earth shaking. The Garrett was a little loud, but this was offset by its great performance and sturdiness. The Treasuremate is very well made and performs with the best of the frequency based pinpointers, but its control knobs were easily hit and often had to be reset during use. Though the frequency based pinpointers do not match the pulse pinpointers for depth and performance in difficult ground, they all worked very well and should meet the requirements of almost any metal detecting needs.

The Pulse Pinpointers were able to reach deeper targets, but is 6 inches to an Eisenhower Dollar really needed? In my opinion it is not. But if you need a pinpointer to perform better in difficult highly mineralized ground or if you hunt in the surf or wet saltwater sand, a pulse pinpointer would best fill your needs.

If you’re interested in raw power and detection depth and want the advantages of a pulse pinpointer, but don’t need a waterproof pinpointers, then the DetectorPro is for you. When it comes to raw power and detection depth no other pinpointer comes close. This includes the Sunray DX-1 Probe on the White’s MXT, M-6 and DFX Detectors.

We found the Vibra-Probe 580 was only exceeded by the DetectorPro for raw power and detection depth. However, the Vibra-Probe 580 has several advantages over the DetectorPro such as; the Vibra-Probe 580 is completely waterproof (waterproof to a depth of 100 feet) making idea for metal detection on the beach or in the water. And we found that the Vibra-Probe 580 was the most accurate/precise of all pinpointers tested due to its tip-only detection. We all really like this feature. All of the people contributing to this report agree that the Vibra-Probe 580 was unsurpassed for comfort and ease of use due to its handle design and was also unsurpassed in user-friendly designing.

A Personal Note:

This report represents the findings of our testing. I do understand completely that opinions and personal preference may differ, and there are always variables to any research project.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Last edited:
I thought about one but got the vibra probe 580. Here is the vid I was looking at.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEffmfzN8pc&feature=related

RIP,

After using the Vibra-Probe 580 in our testing, I have decided this is the PinPointer for me. It faired very well in our testing and was a very pleasant surprise to most. See my posted report on PinPointer Testing to see our findings on this pinpointer.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer question.

I just got this one, and it doesn't seem to to work well at all. I wonder if there is something wrong with it or this is normal. It only goes off when I hold a coin within 1/2 inch from it, maybe 3/4 of an inch at most. Is that normal? I have just started out so I have no idea what is expected, but it doesn't seem to be of much help while digging.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It would seem that you have a lemon. I have the Automax V4 and used it alone with another in a recent field test. General speaking you should be able to Air-test and reached dimes at about 1 inch, nickels at about 2 inches and quarters at just under 2 ½ inches. And it will detect a Silver Dollar at 3 inches during Air-testing.

If you have not done so, call Kellyco and ask about returning the defective Pinpointer.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

It would seem that you have a lemon. I have the Automax V4 and used it alone with another in a recent field test. General speaking you should be able to Air-test and reached dimes at about 1 inch, nickels at about 2 inches and quarters at just under 2 ½ inches. And it will detect a Silver Dollar at 3 inches during Air-testing.

If you have not done so, call Kellyco and ask about returning the defective Pinpointer.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Back
Top Bottom