White's DFX vs XLT

davemd

Been shopping for a new detector. Trying to decide between the XLT and DFX. There is about a $200.00 price difference between them. Is the DFX worth the extra money, or does the XLT perform just as well?

Thanks,
Dave

I've never used a XLT, but (IMHO) I think the DFX with two frequencies (3 & 15kHz) would be my choice over the XLT's single (6.5kHz) frequency.

This is a no brainer. My first detector was an XLT I kind of knew I would like the hobby but just starting out the DFX was a bit to much money.

The first coin I pulled out of the ground was at 4" and the XLT said it was a quarter, well it must be a quarter right? It was an 1842 large cent and I havent stoped detecting since. The truth of the matter is I dont have much patience and being with a friend I was using the XLT at his house getting nothing but beeps but no targets. I was pissed and was on my way to return the detector but along the way I figured I would give it a go at my girlfriends work. Well once that large cent came up there was no getting rid of it.

Years later my dealer told me if I wanted gold I had to go with the DFX. After two years with the XLT I only found two gold rings and was a bit discouraged and figured I should have went with the DFX I truly believed him and trusted him. I sold the XLT for $500 and purchased the DFX after all arnt local dealers local experts(NOT). Well I've now been hunting with the DFX for Four years and have only hit 3 GOLD rings still hoping for more and hoping my dealer proves me wrong.

Now that I know the DFX and the XLT it's pretty much the same machine only you wont be able to save programs with the XLT and the XLT doesnt have pre programs like Deep Silver, etc. Well I dont use any of that crap the DFX offers none of it and I have paid for $3000 worth of scuba gear, an Excalibur, and the purchase price of the DFX plus of course one heck of a collection. The XLT is every bit the detector that the DFX is however if a dealer tells you that in order to find Gold you have to go with the DFX just leave and buy the XLT from someone else.

Now dont get me wrong the DFX is a bit faster as far as setting up a custom program. In seconds I can block out anything I want. If I dont feel like hunting pennies I dont know why anyone would spend that kind of money to pull pennies but in about 10 seconds I can set the DFX up about 5 seconds faster than the XLT. Now if you really want that 5 seconds and feel spending an extra $200 is worth it go with the DFX otherwise the two detectors are really the same. I hunt ball parks and the like and use the same programs I would had I still had the XLT most of the whites have the same features give or take but hands down the XLT will preform just as well as the DFX. You give me an XLT and give my local dealer or anyone from Whites a DFX I'll out hunt him 20 to 1. As far as coils go if your hunting the desert for gold then I would say go with the DFX but all those extra coils will only go down as far as the trash line. I got that Big Foot LOL what a joke sold it as fast as I baught it, sure its designed to go deeper but in a park with a 4" trash line how deep do you think its going to go 4"? Even tried the DD again same thing sold it within a month compleat waste of time. The key to these two detectors is the discrimination features and they both have the same darn programs..... Best of luck

jamie

The DFX is superior in the fact that it has 16 frequencies and this is the trend in detector design. The fact that the DFX has multiple filters and more options also makes it better. The DFX has more preset programs but both have saveable programs on them that the operator inputs. If you are looking for coins then they are everwhere and if properly set up both detectors will perform well. Jewelry is found where jewelry is lost and that is most likely beach and water areas. Many are finding pieces in tot lots however. You must look at the place you are hunting. The more likely something is to be lost there the more likely you will find it there. It all comes down to how much you are willing to put into the detectors operation and understanding of that operation that will signify your success. Going with just the basic programs is a good place to start but you MUST be able and willing to tweak in the detector for maximum output.

i've had the XLT for a couple of years then went to a DFX thinking they were basically the same , they only look the same on the outside .first the DFX is far better on the beach (more stable no falsing on wet sand) and is more sensitive to lower conductive targets (nickles , gold ,platinum) and because it has more options than the xlt it can operate better in more extreme conditions (up to 6 filters where as the xlt only 4 plus sweep speed control which the xlt does not have) the coil selection is more abundant on the dfx as to the xlt . don't get me wrong the xlt is a very good machine and i probably should of kept it as it would of made a great back up detector but i don't regret upgrading to the dfx . i hope i helped in some way , these are just observations i have made of the differences between the two machines.Dan

The DFX is superior in the fact that it has 16 frequencies and this is the trend in detector design. The fact that the DFX has multiple filters and more options also makes it better. The DFX has more preset programs but both have saveable programs on them that the operator inputs. If you are looking for coins then they are everwhere and if properly set up both detectors will perform well. Jewelry is found where jewelry is lost and that is most likely beach and water areas. Many are finding pieces in tot lots however. You must look at the place you are hunting. The more likely something is to be lost there the more likely you will find it there. It all comes down to how much you are willing to put into the detectors operation and understanding of that operation that will signify your success. Going with just the basic programs is a good place to start but you MUST be able and willing to tweak in the detector for maximum output.

Whites said it best in that the DFX just has so much more to offer it's almost inefective.

It took me nine months to figure out what I was going to buy first I got the XLT and its everybit the detector as the DFX. As I said before put an XLT in my hand and give a local dealer a DFX I'll out hunt him 20 to 1. Using XLT settings I pulled over $40 in clad and silver in a parks in less than four hours and I've done that over a dozen times. I dont know anyone who's ever detected that can claim that.

As far as tweeking I agree to an extent but what will make your hunting experience worth while is using the disc and block edit everything else is just BS and both detectors have the same disc and block features all that other stuff just makes the detector unstable.

The only difference between the two are the frequencies, filters, and coil size. Coil size not sure but I think my older DFX has a 9" coil same as the XLT, the frequencis dont make any differnce a quarter is a quarter and a ring is a ring, in the desert it may make a difference with the smaller gold nuggets but are you hunting in the Desert? As far as filters go waste of time and XLT averages out with the DFX.

Check the whites web page and compare the two. You had a good post and a great question the same question I had when I started. Dont be fooled like I was. I was told if I wanted GOLD I needed the DFX then when I wasnt finding GOLD I was told I needed a water hunter like the Excalibur. Where does it stop. Next I'll be told I need the Excalibur II.

Jimmy Seria and Randy Smith both from Whites Electronics told me once in order to find gold regarless of the machine I'm using first I had to put my coil over the target and second I had to dig. The picture I attached looks pretty good does it not Looks like an Excal II but is it? No its an Excalibur 1000 with a face lift and thats all the DFX has just a face lift. Good Luck in your decision.

Jamie

Attachments

• excal.JPG
    excal.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 5,222
The only difference between the two are the frequencies, filters, and coil size.

You just named 3 important factors that deal with performance, yet you say the DFX is just a facelift over the DFX. I don't think the DFX is any more a simple facelift on the XLT than the Mustang being a facelift on the Maverick.

The LXT is a great detector, It was my primary detector for 2 years, but the DFX is a better performer in more conditions.

Last edited:
You just named 3 important factors that deal with performance, yet you say the DFX is just a face lift over the DFX. I don't think the DFX is any more a simple face lift on the XLT than the Mustang being a face lift on the Maverick.

The LXT is a great detector, It was my primary detector for 2 years, but the DFX is a better performer in more conditions.

Those three factors mean nothing coil size ok the DFX should go deeper right well if theres a four inch trash line it's going no deeper then the XLT, am I wrong? I've used the 12" coil it made no difference in park hunting none what so ever. What else Ferquencies I did mention that in the desert where there were small gold nuggets it would probably make a difference but in trashy parks you know as well as I do it makes no difference. Ground filtering LOL why would you even bother?

Over the last four years I have pulled over 15k can you say the same?

I never said the DFX was a bad machine I own one but for a first time user if the guy has the money to burn go with the DFX but if he's on a budget like I was the XLT did a great job actually better than the DFX. He gets the XLT likes the hobby sells it after a year to see what he has been missing with the DFX and he's going to relaize he hasnt missed a thing. When I got my XLT I paid a little over $700 when I sold it two years later I got $500 for it not to mention what I pulled with it payed for it anyway.

See this is the kind of thing I mentiioned in another post why cant I share my experience with the XLT and the DFX and let it be without getting attacked for it. The machines are the same if this person wants to spend the extra money great I'm just telling him my expereience. If you have nothing to back up your claims it would be nice if you kept your comments at bay or at least read what was said before you come at me with loaded guns. Those three factors dont mean anything and you know it.

I stand by my statements , experience with the XLT and DFX and all of the items I talked about certainly do matter or they wouldn't be put on the detector in the first place. New technology can be misunderstood and a new person with something like the XLT or the DFX will need to make sure that they are willing to understand what the detector can do when adjusted. You are right Jamie in that I don't know anyone who has ever done what you claim. Not even in the good ol days. I hope you all have success with whatever it is that you use for a detector and I am always here to help anyone as much as I can. The statement that the coil needs to go over the target to find it is true, but: the target has to be there for the coil to go over it.

Most detectors take a season or two to be able to get the "most" out of them. The factory has the turn on and go programs for folks that don't want to tweek the detector and run it on the "edge". Certainly every coil has it goods and bads/Wouldn't want to run a 12" coil in a high trash area as the coil will cover maybe 2-3 targets at once and not respond correctly.

Having tryed the super 12 and 3x6DD down the same "path" so to say i can find items with that 3x6 where the super 12 never flinches. I have proven to myself that i can out hunt the super 12 i have with the 3X6DD that i got this summer in a high trash area. I still need to move the pre amp gain up along with the AC + DC sensetivity but will get excellent depth to 7" or slightly better on a penny with the 3x6/BUT the DFX is not telling me exactly on the VDI what the target actually is=VDI jumps around number wise all over the place=when unsure always dig the target. (this is becasue the detector is running out of range and cannot detect the target any further away).

Now having used the DFX for a season after knowing what "extra" i can get out of the detector in terms of depth wise i have made up my own programs and go from there. Books like digging deeper with the DFX, and Dancing with the DFX got me on the right path learning on how to "Tweek" the detector for certain areas. Recovery speed come into mind also in helping in high trash area's. It takes time to learn what the detector can and can't do.

I stand by my statements , experience with the XLT and DFX and all of the items I talked about certainly do matter or they wouldn't be put on the detector in the first place. New technology can be misunderstood and a new person with something like the XLT or the DFX will need to make sure that they are willing to understand what the detector can do when adjusted. You are right Jamie in that I don't know anyone who has ever done what you claim. Not even in the good ol days. I hope you all have success with whatever it is that you use for a detector and I am always here to help anyone as much as I can. The statement that the coil needs to go over the target to find it is true, but: the target has to be there for the coil to go over it.

Now see this is a good post and like you stand behind what you claim I stand behind what I claim. Even if the guy goes with the XLT no doubt if he likes the hobby he will sell the XLT and go with the DFX.

Everyone seems so set on the DFX perhaps I'm doing something wrong in using the DFX maybe your using the DFX the way it should be used but my finds say otherwise. I dont need the extra settings or programs the DFX offers 8troy ounces of silver jewerly in two years not to mention the Gold and Diamonds, the silver coins and all that clad tells me that I just dont need all the bells and whistles the DFX offers.

I use the disc edit and block edit features and both machines have them everything else has been tryed. The programs, trying to get the DFX to go deeper it just doesnt happen without broken signals and frustration. If the target is there no matter what machine I dig it and I own it.

Again if I lived in Gold country USA the DFX would have to be my choice but for local parks and old greens what can I say that I havent already said.

I can't say I know anyone that has "pulled 15k" in the last 4 years, but I don't find it that unbelievable. Heck, I've seen single rings found worth almost 10k. Wouldn't take many of those to make 15k in 4 years. But then it's never been about the amount of $$$'s I find. I consider most of my finds priceless.

All I'm saying is for me the DFX was the better choice. I understand not everyone likes the features the DFX has, or understands them, but they all have a place and advantage over those that don't have them. As Tony said, thats why they put them on the detector.

I feel quite at easy with my DFX and I did with my XLT. For my hunting style and conditions, the DFX was the better choice.

I have both and my main is the xlt. The DFX is nice and I use it at the OC or at the beach.The DFX seems to become unstable near overhead power lines and it seems to me they,re all over the place in MD.

I can't say I know anyone that has "pulled 15k" in the last 4 years, but I don't find it that unbelievable. Heck, I've seen single rings found worth almost 10k. Wouldn't take many of those to make 15k in 4 years. But then it's never been about the amount of $$$'s I find. I consider most of my finds priceless.

All I'm saying is for me the DFX was the better choice. I understand not everyone likes the features the DFX has, or understands them, but they all have a place and advantage over those that don't have them. As Tony said, thats why they put them on the detector.

I feel quite at easy with my DFX and I did with my XLT. For my hunting style and conditions, the DFX was the better choice.

They put that sticker on my Excalibur saying its an Excalibur II but its still a 1000? Did they put that on the detector to make it better? Meaning much of what the DFX offers its not needed. Was the sticker needed I mean I like it it looks good and when I scuba dive it shows up much better but in truth?

Thank you, in the beginning like you it wasnt about the money it was about get a hobby your disabled or at least thats what they told me. Once I found out how long it was going to take to get on disability the hobby turned into extra income once I learned how to use the DFX and sold my XLT it turned into an Extra $3-400 a week but it only got that way becasue some real kind folks helped me. Folks that didnt help when I had the XLT.

Your right the ring I just pulled was valued at over $1300, scrap weight is at $192 what do you do with something like that scap it or try and sell it? Pesonaly I may just add it to my collection.

Only reciently this has become a hobby to me again, yesterday I pulled an 1881 IH fun stuff. It doesnt hold a candle to the Gold but it's fun to soak it and clean it put it in a box somewhere. I hunt with a guy on this fourm and even his Eagle preforms extramly well and has many of the same features we are talking about.

If Dave is looking at a Whites period I dont think he can go wrong. Being said all of us have owned or started with the XLT because lets face it these detectors are not all about turn on and go and are not all that easy to start with.

The XLT offers basic features that will serve him well and are not that hard to figure out I cant speek for anyone else but I learned to crawl before I walked. Please no offence to any dealers out there but in order to learn how to really use my DFX I had to talk with professionals like Randy Smith, Jimmy Siera and the people from whites everyday. It wasnt easy for me but since that time the finds I've made just using basic adjustments with the DFX have proved that the XLT is as everybit the detector the DFX is. The same adjustments I would have made with the XLT.

Dave I'll tell you what my DFX is four years old and the only thing I've ever had to replace was the battery and charger and I did that about three weeks ago. Purchase price for the XLT is about what $899 if you buy it out of state you wont have to pay taxes but if you negotiate you can get the price down to about $775-$750. I was going to sell my DFX for $600 I'll trade you and toss in a few 14k gold rings or if you prefer my half my silver collection. Thats how sure I am you'll like the XLT I'll trade you a top end detector for it.

Jamie- The exact wording i got from the Service tech at minelab=While talking on the phone to Robert was that the new sticker is suspose to help the Excal deal with Radio frequency.

Mine was a Reg. Excal 1000 and it came back with the Excal II Lime Green sticker. So now i'm 1 up on the 1000 i guess.

Must be some magic foil in the sticker or something like that to have the "advantage" from what i figure :lol:

Well lets not forget that the DFX has 191 tones while the XLT only has 190. I think that 1 tone makes all the difference. It's that one I listen to anyway :spin:

Back
Top Bottom