Location and depth

AIRFORCEMIKE

Forum Supporter
Just a tip for some of the newer guys. I hit a park yesterday that I know dirt has been moved around a lot because I’ve been here before and even locals have told me. I hit the edges of this park and almost everyone of this finds were 3-6 inches deep. Edges of these parks are sometimes left alone by us mainly because we don’t want to be seen. Get to the edges, dig everything while there to identify what is there and the age of the targets. I love digging deep but if the goodies are on top I’m cool with that also

HH
AFM

732733834336138b802cb6895be188c8.jpg
cb5afc972dbf937f998ccd03a3c0600d.jpg
3802a357596542b2495c8dc05b33748a.jpg
8c3b1494cc44bfd51c80542c052fa60b.jpg
9706a3f7fea8b1d47dcf103d4adb0ec6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice finds! I've also had good luck with the perimeter of parks, also wooded sections of parks. Congrats on all the oldies!

Nice “edge” work Mike. I also try to look for the less obvious places at a park, including under shrubby growth, that was likely not there 50-100 years ago. A bit more work perhaps, but maybe less pounded than the wide open areas.

Just a tip for some of the newer guys. I hit a park yesterday that I know dirt has been moved around a lot because I’ve been here before and even locals have told me. I hit the edges of this park and almost everyone of this finds were 3-6 inches deep. Edges of these parks are sometimes left alone by us mainly because we don’t want to be seen. Get to the edges, dig everything while there to identify what is there and the age of the targets. I love digging deep but if the goodies are on top I’m cool with that also

HH
AFM

Mike, I almost exclusively hunt the edges of all parks that I frequent. It is definitely where good stuff goes unfound. Beautiful coins you found there!!! Congrats.

Great info, heard many wise guys say this and shown impressive finds from the edges.........but I can't lie the centers and pathways draw me like a drug and I can't say no too.

Great Tip Mike . Looks like the proof is in your glove.
Congradulations on the great day and 1800s silver buddy .
,Dew

Congrats Mike on some great digs. Love that you kept our Silver streak intacked even without me. I should be ready to get out again next week so let me know your schedule. Just a few more hunts like this one a the century mark will fall. Trapper

Hmmm, edges you say? Interesting. Don't think I've considered this as a pattern, but looking back, I can recall several good finds along the edges of various parks. I find stuff in the interiors too, but enough outward finds to confirm you are onto something there. Good report and a great haul, Mike!

think in terms of a baseball players' mother. or a park patron. most of them will park their cars and sit on the edge, not go to the center. i imagine a row of lawn chairs of parents digging coins out of their pockets to give to the kiddos, right at the edge of my park. that is the area of most of my success as well. good tip!

Dammit! You’re in a different forum section....if I personally for some reason am able to find a piece of a well hammered site that’s kind of not real obvious?...it’s almost a GIVEN that there will be something there. We are collectively subliminally trained to go after the high traffic areas like everyone else has,and I do still find stuff there! But if you’re fortunate enough to NOT have to weed through all of the trash and come up with some nice coins with minimal work...I won’t so NO to that either.
That tree decoration is quite a thing,looks like an Elmer Fudd gun barrel after Bugs stuck a carrot down the end of it.:grin:
Nice finds buddy! Now if the weather would throw us a bone for a wrap up hunt...

Nice bunch of finds! Detecting places that others miss or don't want to detect is rewarding. I always keep my eyes peeled for those kinds of places.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom