Racer seems like a good deal

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Received my racer yesterday,went out last night for a short hunt.Nothing to write about,but I just didn't get the coil over anything good.I will say,this machine isnt going to miss much.
Separation is second to none,ive used flagship .machines from several companies,most won't even come close to matching the racer in separation.I believe there are just as many old coins masked in the 8 inch depth range as there are deeper old coins left.So for that reason I'm more into finding coins other machines cant see.
Depth is good,it rained so the ground is soaked.In my test bed I maxed out at a ten inch nickel,repeatable but no visual id. Target id starts to fail at 7 inches,but audio is there and screaming dig me.
Build quality seems excellent, well balanced and no wobble in this unit.The backlight is nice but goes out until a target is detected.I dont care for that,but I grab the pp trigger and the lights back on.Ground balancing is very easy on this Machine
I'm going out today for a awhile,but in short every machine isn't for everyone, but I think the racer is everything good I've read,just plain raw power.At 95 sens it was quite till it hit a target,emi is not a issue for me.So far I see it surpassing all mid priced machines.I'm not a loyal brand person,if a machine don't live upto the hype its gone,and if its overpriced per performance its gone.I see neither in the racer so far,but time will tell.I think its a great all around machine,full of features like the 705 xterra but much much better separation and deeper.And I like the 705,just saying the obvious.
To me most top of the line machines are just that,top of the money line for that company. I believe there are some instances were a big money machine will find things lesser money machine won't,but its far and few in my real world hunting.

I waited a while before I got my Racer, I thought it was being over hyped... It wasn't. I had a Deus when I bought the Racer and the Deus now has a new home. I took the Racer and Deus out to quite a few spots and compared signals on both and the Racer did just as good as the Deus, never worse.

I checked hundreds of targets and the Racer didn't let me down, and the Deus didn't either, I was able to pick everything up with both. The Racer did suffer in the ID portion but had good tone, and when there is good tone and no ID DIG DIG DIG.

In all, I couldn't see having the Racer and a top of the money pile Deus when they are pretty much equal. I was considering an e trac but hunt next to one and there has only been a hand full of times the Racer couldn't match the depth. Still doesn't prove the $1000 extra is worth it.

I think my next machine will be either a Fors core or an AT Pro. Maybe both. Keeping the Racer though.

I also skipped the deus,seen so many stating the racer was equel ,even dealers said that.I must say that I'm pleased with its performance, and like I said earlier, I'm sure some higher priced machines will do better sometimes, but its far and few in my experiences.And the etrac has a round 11 dd coil,it should be deeper for that fact alone,maybe if the racer had a 11 round mars coil you would have heard all signals.The etrac is a good machine, but not enough to warrant the cost though for me.Cheaper to buy silver.lol

The Deus was gonna be my next new toy. Is the Racer really that good to be compared to the Deus?

The Deus was gonna be my next new toy. Is the Racer really that good to be compared to the Deus?

Not everyone feels the same about the two. While I'd say the Racer, for the money, is a great detector, I would not even put it in the same class as the Deus. But then that is just my experience between the two. Do your research and you'll be better informed to decided which is right for you.

Not everyone feels the same about the two. While I'd say the Racer, for the money, is a great detector, I would not even put it in the same class as the Deus. But then that is just my experience between the two. Do your research and you'll be better informed to decided which is right for you.

Any good midrange detector, and some lower priced detectors can get an 8 inch wheat.

I was fortunate enough to own a Deus AND a Racer at the same time and have a detecting buddy with an etrac I hunt with all the time. I based my opinions solely on that.

Others may (will) disagree but it is what it is. I feel that a detector on top of the money pile is there because of slick marketing and people buying into the "It cost more so it's better" logic. I have several pens on my desk here, one my wife bought because it looked nice ($8), the others come from a pack I paid $3 for a 10 pack. They all do the same thing...... THE SAME THING.

I'm not bashing any detectors, I'm bashing the company's that have to hire marketing firms to justify spending the crazy money they want for their product. $2500 detector? Whats next?:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
The Deus is good, I agree. But my Deus ID would jump all over the place too, like my Racer does. You just don't see any videos of the Deus doing that, I wish I still had mine just to video all the quirks they have, just like any other machine.

It all comes down to the bottom line, either the manufactures or mine. I will always choose mine.

Never owned a deus but I like my racer,with what little time I have on it.Sorry to say,id hafto take multiple dealers and users posts over one video.And they've all had both and still have the racer listed in their signature.
Could be you had a defective racer for all I know,no offense.I agree the vid isn't good after 7 inches in my soil,but the audio is great well past 7 inches,and I trust audio over all.
And .maybe the deus is better than a racer in some ways,but whatever ways that may be,it don't help my style of hunting

maybe the deus is better than a racer in some ways,but whatever ways that may be,it don't help my style of hunting

Now that I can agree with. You see the difference is not all of us are looking for the same things in a detector. Of course other than finding the good stuff. That is why we see some that are happy as a Lark using a meter-less Compadre, and others that need a bit more. I happen to be one of those that need a bit more. Those that don't are probably happy as can be with the Racer. But, to even insinuate that the Racer is in the same class as the Deus is just incorrect. It may be all your looking for, but that doesn't put it in the same class, it just means that you are happy with less in a detector that some others are.

I need a detector with fully programmable discrimination. Multiple notching in the case of the Deus. I need a detector with full tone adjust-ability. I love the weight, although the Racer is fairly light, it's still not the Deus. Like most of the top of the line it has the wireless that I love. I like being able to adjust it to any condition I may encounter. These are just a few of the things, in my opinion, that separate a $1,500 detector from a $700 detector. If they are not features of interest to you then a cheaper detector is the wise choice, but don't even pretend to think people are going to believe the Racer & Deus are in the same class.

I'm am not putting down any detector either just stating facts. As I've said before, I will always call-out anyone I feel is purposely misleading readers.

I need a detector with fully programmable discrimination. Multiple notching in the case of the Deus. I need a detector with full tone adjust-ability. I love the weight, although the Racer is fairly light, it's still not the Deus. Like most of the top of the line it has the wireless that I love. I like being able to adjust it to any condition I may encounter. These are just a few of the things, in my opinion, that separate a $1,500 detector from a $700 detector. If they are not features of interest to you then a cheaper detector is the wise choice, but don't even pretend to think people are going to believe the Racer & Deus are in the same class.

I'm am not putting down any detector either just stating facts. As I've said before, I will always call-out anyone I feel is purposely misleading readers.

My wife has a friend that pays $200+ for a pair of jeans and justifies it by saying the pockets are the right height to get her hands in comfortably. :?: All it is saying is "Hey, I have this and you don't". I just spent 38K on a car last month, this girls husband had to make the point his pickup cost 51K. I still get to work and the bar. :laughing: I do notice they don't go out as much as the rest of us. I think it's because they have to support their expensive taste.

As far as fully programmable discrimination. Multiple notching, full tone adjust-ability. I don't need that much help or hassle detecting. Give me my Vaquero and I'll gladly follow any metered machine because I have learned it.

I also skipped the deus,seen so many stating the racer was equel ,even dealers said that.I must say that I'm pleased with its performance, and like I said earlier, I'm sure some higher priced machines will do better sometimes, but its far and few in my experiences.And the etrac has a round 11 dd coil,it should be deeper for that fact alone,maybe if the racer had a 11 round mars coil you would have heard all signals.The etrac is a good machine, but not enough to warrant the cost though for me.Cheaper to buy silver.lol

Can't wait to get the Tiger coil on my Racer. Then most bickering will end and more Racers will be drug across the dirt.:D Wait and see.

For what the Racer cost it is a great machine.
I have a couple Deus units and run them too.

In an old house site there are targets the Racer with small coil can get, the Deus can't any size coil. And it's just not the Deus either.

The minelabs are good machines as well.---Their weakness is iron!!!!!

A person running a Racer in an old site sure shouldn't feel at a disadvantge---if the old site has many nails/iron.

Now take a park setting--one without much iron/nails---the minelabs are at home there and are top performers-----but this performance comes with a price.

Racer users to get the most of of their units---Try to key on the most trashy spots--areas loaded with iron/nails. The site the minelab users usually stay away from.

I also have a Blisstool V6, and folks won't believe this but it surpasses the Deus in some coin below nails test I've done. And this it seems it being reflected in some of the sites I've had my recently purchased Blisstool.

There will always be opnions--no matter what. And the ole saying mine is better than yours will be heard a lot.

But the fact is Racer with small coil is not only a simple setup to operate---it sees things many other detectors can't---and some of these other detectors cost quite a bit more $$$$$$.

Thanks for all the good information, and thanks for keeping it civil.
This is a very good debate, and I really appreciate the way comments are being made here.:D

Pulled ALOT of coins out of the same hole as iron with my E trac and with the Target trace I am sure the CTX 3030 will do even better for me. Spent most of my time with the Racer digging foil.

What it all boils down to is.... What you can afford and what your willing to pay. Detector technology has reached it's peak and until another technology comes out things will be the same.

Not once did I say the Racer is superior to the top of the money pile machines. All I said is it is equal. When you start talking class your way off the mark. THERE IS NO CLASS IN DIGGING IN THE DIRT!!!!:laughing::laughing:

Forgot to say Xp Deus---another strength it has is work in super high mineral soil---granted you are still depth restricted but not as much as many other VLFs I.E Etrac/CTX.

And what I mean by this, Deus most likely to give a nonferrous tone indicating nonferrous, Etrac/CTX more likely to signal iron.
Remember this is in the 5 bar or higher F75 indicated soil.

BTW Racer doens't fair as well in this dept as Xp Deus.

Back
Top Bottom