Best one I ever saw

My grandmother used to grab me by the ear with one of those when I misbehaved. Felt like it anyway.:lol:

^ +1 think he nailed it, no pun intended.. I was going to say sometype of cutter/cowboy can opener lol

That hole looks to be added on like someone with a drillbit moved a smaller bitt all around to open up the hole

doesn't look like anything in those pics looks more like some kind of pin for top of scaffolding or something the hole in middle would be for a smaller pin to lock together

Actually I've used that type of nail puller and can see it being one. Actually it looks to be a hybrid of a sliding hammer type nail puller and a catclaw. With the sliding hammer the gripping jaws are driven into the wood on either side of the nail by the pounding action of the sliding handle. Then the tool is pivoted and the 'foot' causes the jaws to grip the nail and pull it.

With a catclaw, the head is driven under the nail head and then pulled as with a hammer.

This looks like it is a form of catclaw with the gripping capabilities of the sliding hammer type.

If it's not for nails, it certainly looks to grip SOMETHING under the same principle.

For context: It was in an 1874 Cavalry Camp area. Antone could have come by and dropped it at any time though. Sword hanger? :laughing:

There's not a side of it I would consider sharp or previously sharpened.

Nor sure about the nail puller (or fence staple puller maybe), seems a little frail to be hitting with a hammer. Looking...

For context: It was in an 1874 Cavalry Camp area. Antone could have come by and dropped it at any time though. Sword hanger? :laughing:

There's not a side of it I would consider sharp or previously sharpened.

Nor sure about the nail puller (or fence staple puller maybe), seems a little frail to be hitting with a hammer. Looking...

That's why I said it was for pulling SOMETHING. :yes: If you were to put something between (what looks to me from the picture) the jaws, and rock it back on the foot, the jaws would grip tighter and pull. Maybe for stretching something like leather, so it could be tautly fastened in place? Just thinking a little out of the box here...

Here's a leather stretching pliers I found...
LastingPliersBruceCheaney.jpg

Its a giant can opener used to take the top off of steel drums :?:

Back
Top Bottom