Tomorrow a big adventure...

duhast

No experience at all, but tomorrow heading into the desert to the site of a plane crash.

I's been my desire to search this site for many years, now I have the detector.

I'm going to try to be very smart and respectfull about this....probably not going to do the actual impact area (there's a small memorial), but rather the outlaying areas down hill...following natural contours and flow patterns, up against shrubs, etc.

What thinkest thou?

Wow Duhast.... I know one thing for sure, If any of my loved ones had died in that plane crash, I would be extremely grateful to you if you were able to find something of theirs. and bring it back to me. Be sure & let us all know how it goes.

I don't want to give much of this away, but...this is a military wreck, and was cleaned at the time.

I'm interested because as a kid, a friends dad worked on the plane, and showed us some materials from it....

Hot damn...I scored big time...at least it seems that way to me.

I remember this crash very well. I was young, but nuts about this stuff and the space program. In the early 60's a friend's dad worked on the project, and showed us some of the honeycomb stuff.....

What we have here is an example of things I found. I have 3/4 of a quart ziplock bag of this stuff, including a couple rivet heads, a (approx) 3/8" X 2" piece of a hex head type fastener (titanium?), and lots of bits of titanium, about .5 X .5 Sorry about the focus, I'm still working on that....

Left to right, top to bottom, the washer is the size of a quarter.

1. A block of carbon fiber with a center hole. It's possible it's not carbon, but some sort of insulator block.

2. Aluminum, with a 'coblestone' texture on one side, partially melted on the back. Looks like some sort of small "step".

3.Suspected titanium engine (exhaust?) part...textured with small holes (.005).

4. Uncrushed piece of 'honeycomb' material used in construction of craft.

5. Suspected piece of cockpit window. Lots of this around the memorial that marks the cockpit impact spot.

6. Titanium washer.

7. Small dia. insulated wire.

xb70%20itemsitems.JPG

Back
Top Bottom