Guns found.. need ID and thoughts...

dirtdigger88

Returned to the site where my youngest son found that nice 1871 Seated Liberty Half Dime on New Years Day on Saturday, and my oldest son found an old cap gun (very light and in bad shape) then he had a spot that kept ringing loud with the AT Pro he was using, and asked me to check it.. my E-Trac was low tones.. I said big iron, don't bother.. so of course being a 16 year old he kept digging...

He finally came over and said look what I found.. it looks like a real small caliber pistol.. it was very rusty.. and we have been working on cleaning it.. mainly just soaking in warm water, and a dental pick.. all of it was in terrible shape.. hope someone here can tell us about it.. once we get an ID on it, we will turn it over to local Police department as we do not possess any pistol permits in our house.. its not fire-able anyways, and it was down about 6 inches..

Now for some photo's..

Attachments

• IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,624
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,176
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,118
if its real, it looks like a small caliber semi auto ...it'll never fire again. why not clean it up, electrolysis it, and keep it as a realic and a memento of the hunt? no need to throw it out of the house, its a cool relic. the cops will just toss it in the trash anyway.

Clean that baby up, would like to see somme finished pics ,looks like 22, 25 cal maybe,cant really tell, the letter on the grip might help you find out once you clean it ,really cool!

It's a play gun. There is no separation between the slide and the body like you would find in a real automatic pistol.

i swear i'm leaning more to it being a toy. for some reason it rings a bell in my head, i remember having a toy gun something along that line.

it looks like on the grip that maybe it would swing open on the large rivet/bolt at the bottom corner where you could load the blanks in.c :?:

don't know without really holding it. nice find non the less!!!

sorry, please don't take it the wrong way. i respect anyone's thoughts on gun ownership as long as they leave my guns alone. just couldn't help but post this..... :laughing:

Attachments

• GunBan.jpg
    GunBan.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,139
The first photo showing all the rust, thats what all of it looked like at first..

It looks like the trigger guard actually moves back towards the grip when fired, it's got a small port in the top which is open, I'll try and add some photos. The grip is metal, all of it is metal and it's fairly heavy.

ok, with what information i have on it, making a true educated guess, it's a toy.

great find! i've found one real gun and one toy. guns are always fun to find, there is a story behind them. coins, well they are just coins. :D

Realllly? You know the bad guys always have guns right?

Sorry, it's just mind blowing to think of someone not owning a weapon to defend themselves or their family.

:rifle:

maybe you have issues in Alabama.. but I live in a small town of about 2500 people.. and we dont have to worry about such things.. glad you felt the need to post your views.. if I ever move to Bama' I best get some guns...:) also, I updated my original post... we don't have any pistol permits in the house.. doesnt mean we don't have other legal guns..

Back
Top Bottom