Should I upgrade?

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, have only been Md’ing since January of this year, but alas, I am hooked. My current set up is the Tesoro Silver uMax and a Garrett ProPointer. Have been having a blast with this set up and use it all – frequently – like I said, I am hooked. Still have not found real gold (yet), but not for lack of trying. Have found tons of real silver etc… and a total of 18 rings of various metals, probably half are stamped as silver and the other half are unknowns at this time (ie, in the junk ring category).

Having said all this… I enjoy the simplicity of the Silver uMax etc… really like the machine. But, have been toying with the idea “upgrading” (will that increase my chances of finding the real gold rings etc?)

My metal detecting is mainly going after jewelry, again, would really like to hit the real gold… will upgrading increase my chances or should I just stick with my Silver uMax. Also I like the fact that my uMax is water proof (at least until you hit the “box”), and is so light and easy to use.

All in all, the only/main reason I am even thinking of upgrading is to give me a better chance at finding gold rings, pendants etc… what do ya’ll suggest?

Stick with the Silver uMax? Upgrade? To what and why? Figure if I do upgrade it will probably be a max of about 6-700, with a “most likely” of $400.00.

I do have a buddy that may be willing to sell me a Lobo for about 4 bills… would that be better etc than my silver? I dunno… have hunted with him, and not sure he is getting more than I am… actually and probably, because I hunt a lot more than he does, I probably have the advantage of having used mine a lot more than him – in all fairness.

Anyways, what do ya’ll think? Love my Silver, but want to increase the odds of finding gold rings etc.

Thanks!

Howdy folks, have only been Md’ing since January of this year, but alas, I am hooked. My current set up is the Tesoro Silver uMax and a Garrett ProPointer. Have been having a blast with this set up and use it all – frequently – like I said, I am hooked. Still have not found real gold (yet), but not for lack of trying. Have found tons of real silver etc… and a total of 18 rings of various metals, probably half are stamped as silver and the other half are unknowns at this time (ie, in the junk ring category).

Having said all this… I enjoy the simplicity of the Silver uMax etc… really like the machine. But, have been toying with the idea “upgrading” (will that increase my chances of finding the real gold rings etc?)

My metal detecting is mainly going after jewelry, again, would really like to hit the real gold… will upgrading increase my chances or should I just stick with my Silver uMax. Also I like the fact that my uMax is water proof (at least until you hit the “box”), and is so light and easy to use.

All in all, the only/main reason I am even thinking of upgrading is to give me a better chance at finding gold rings, pendants etc… what do ya’ll suggest?

Stick with the Silver uMax? Upgrade? To what and why? Figure if I do upgrade it will probably be a max of about 6-700, with a “most likely” of $400.00.

I do have a buddy that may be willing to sell me a Lobo for about 4 bills… would that be better etc than my silver? I dunno… have hunted with him, and not sure he is getting more than I am… actually and probably, because I hunt a lot more than he does, I probably have the advantage of having used mine a lot more than him – in all fairness.

Anyways, what do ya’ll think? Love my Silver, but want to increase the odds of finding gold rings etc.

Thanks!

I'm not an expert here and I don't use Tesoro but if your getting good results with what your using, I would keep using it. I'm kind of biased to the Garrett Ace 250 but that does not mean its better than what you have. I have never compared them side by side. As far as pin-pointers are concerned I use the Vibra-Probe 570 (the 580 is the replacement). I like that because its easy to use, completely waterproof and works well. I would imagine as far as pin-pointers are concerned, they all pretty much do the same thing, except that some are built better than others and some are waterproof.

I'm sure you will get a lot of responses here from people who have used your model and can offer side by side comparisons. I have heard from many people that they Love their Tesoro detectors mainly because they are lightweight and they have used them for years. I guess that's how I feel about my Garrett Ace 250.

You didn't mention where your using your detector, beach, dirt, sand, water etc. Different detectors work better than others in different scenarios. You may want to post that as that may change peoples advice for you.

Best of luck to you and happy MD'ing!!!! Welcome to the group.

Howdy - thanks. Am using it mostly in parks and tot lots and various fields... soccer, baseball.

Thanks again folks.

I don't think upgrading will make a difference as far as getting the gold.
If you had a really crappy detector i would say go for it, but you've got a nice machine as is, gold just isn't everywhere....

Yep, I agree with zeemang, you have something that works. Unless your needs change like having an underwater detector or detecting in other areas where another detector might be better save the money and enjoy what you have. My 10 year old uses an Ace 150 and that is a really basic inexpensive unit, but he sure does find a lot of stuff with it! He is the coin man as I call him. He is always digging up coins wherever we go, sometimes pulls up more than me with my 250 or my Excal II.

If you want do detect deeper, try going out after a good rain. The wet soil conducts better and allows you to detect deeper using the same equipment. My Excal II goes deeper than my Ace250 however I don't use it in TOT lots and parks because I don't dig below the sand fill they put in. I'm only looking for things that have recently been lost. Living here in FL, parks and such are not old enough to find the old coins and relics that people find in places like GA, NJ, VA and all those other older populated states. I can recommend a good book to find places to hunt, "The Urban Treasure Hunter". I checked it out through my local library and it was a really good book even for an experienced treasure hunter. It gives you lots of ideas you have have already thought of and forgot to consider and some that you may not have thought of.

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Treasur...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282003216&sr=8-1

The way I see it, the deeper the machine goes, the harder you work to recover your targets.

Happy hunting and don't forget to post your finds!

Last edited:
Howdy - thanks for the replies... reckon I'll hang onto it a bit longer. Will probably check into the book as well... gaining more knowledge, always a good thing.

I think I will try the following as well:

1.) Swing slower
2.) Hunt in Min mode a few times. Then try a few outings in AM mode.
3.) Try some different areas as well.

Thanks again folks, if anyone can think of anything else, please chime in. :D

From what I have read, the higher frequency machines are a little more sensitive to gold.
Hence, my Vaquero at 14khz should be a little bit more sensitive than the silver at 10khz.
The Lobo at 17khz even more so.
Dedicated gold machines are way up there in the khz range.

That being said...unless you are out in gold country looking for those nuggets, this stuff shouldn't matter.
You still have to know your machine and you still need to swing your coil over gold stuff before you can find it.

Look at TabDog's finds with a compadre(12khz) and others with machines not as capable as yours.

You seem to be doing great, to me, and I think it is just a matter of time before you find that "golden site" you are looking for.

HH

Hmmm, maybe there is something to all this. Lol. went out last night... hit a place I had already hit before. Tried to slow down my swing a bit and set the disc to MIN. Found a few pieces, some fairly small that I may not have found before. Two pieces of jewelry... junk (I think) but they were small... I think my previous way of hunting... I probably would have missed these. The experiment continues. (-;

I have the silver umax and haven't found gold yet but I've only been at it for a few weeks with the tesoro.

I did some air test on gold jewelry and some placer gold and a nugget that I have in a vile.

The gold jewelry had a strong signal, just as strong if not stronger than a pull tab. The gold nuggets were hard to pick up unless I was within a couple of inches.

Back
Top Bottom