Racer seems like a good deal

Spent most of my time with the Racer digging foil
You haven't learned the Racer then. As for the CTX, it's a great machine but not $2500 great. I would own one if it was priced reasonably but nothing Minelab is.

I hunt with guys that had the CTX and sold them when the hype didn't show itself. My local dealer sells CTX and the one on his wall has so much dust on it, it's funny. Even he doesn't use one, he still uses his Deus.

I told him to take the price sticker off the CTX and it might get handled. He just started selling the Racer after he told a lot of people they suck. :laughing: But they have seen what I find. I don't buy from him because he sells full retail.:?:

Forgot to say Xp Deus---another strength it has is work in super high mineral soil---granted you are still depth restricted but not as much as many other VLFs I.E Etrac/CTX.

And what I mean by this, Deus most likely to give a nonferrous tone indicating nonferrous, Etrac/CTX more likely to signal iron.
Remember this is in the 5 bar or higher F75 indicated soil.

BTW Racer doens't fair as well in this dept as Xp Deus.

That's when you bring out the Tesoro.:D

Just got in from a 2 hour hunt with the racer,no goodies but dug about 30 clad coins,and maybe 5 bad targets.Pretty good ratio I think.I dug most of the bad in the beginning,82s.Then I just decided 88 and up,got all quarters and dimes,past alot of midtones but I'll get them later,I live across from a old church yard.
It's a busy machine,I started at 10 on disc,then moved to 40.Quited down to nothing.Oh yeah,had to move to 5 on frequency shift,that also made it silent.
I like it,seems like a nice unit, I'm more of a fast hunter.I have the 5x10 but used the stock tonight.one question I have ,is there a master reset on this?I can't find it in the book,And I usually do that after every coil change.

No master reset option really available or is needed for coil changes.

Next time you are out try running your ID filter at/around 23. That will knock out most iron/nails and run pretty quiet.

One caution----anytime you run ID filter higher than 10 you run the risk of missing some good target close to iron. And even at 23 setting a good target may come through---but may be clipped in the audio.

Just got in from a 2 hour hunt with the racer,no goodies but dug about 30 clad coins,and maybe 5 bad targets.Pretty good ratio I think.I dug most of the bad in the beginning,82s.Then I just decided 88 and up,got all quarters and dimes,past alot of midtones but I'll get them later,I live across from a old church yard.
It's a busy machine,I started at 10 on disc,then moved to 40.Quited down to nothing.Oh yeah,had to move to 5 on frequency shift,that also made it silent.
I like it,seems like a nice unit, I'm more of a fast hunter.I have the 5x10 but used the stock tonight.one question I have ,is there a master reset on this?I can't find it in the book,And I usually do that after every coil change.

No reset that I know of. It pretty much goes back to the defaults when turned off.

Wait till you use that 5x10 coil, if you are a fast hunter the Racer will forgive you. When you learn the sounds you will turn down the ID filter and dig the mid tones. Be sure to get Clives book. There are no boot camps to travel to, to learn the Racer, it will just pop one day and will all make sense.

No master reset option really available or is needed for coil changes.

Next time you are out try running your ID filter at/around 23. That will knock out most iron/nails and run pretty quiet.

One caution----anytime you run ID filter higher than 10 you run the risk of missing some good target close to iron. And even at 23 setting a good target may come through---but may be clipped in the audio.

Agreed. Once you get that handled it gets better. I dug every signal for 2 weeks to learn the crazy sounds like I did with my explorer when I had it. Came home with some nice surprises. I still dig 80% of the targets.

This video will show the effects of raising ID filter.

The detector shown in this video is not a Racer. but a Nokta Core unit.

Make no mistake--I've owned and run both they are very close in performance.

On the Racer it's called ID filter
On the CoRe unit it's called ID mask.

Even though they have different names the disc funtions are one and the same.
Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcf1GHCtGYQ

Thanks for all the info,I'm gonna get the oor coil soon,before snow comes and give it a try.I'll try that I'd filter lower,maybe just go back to 10 and learn it that way.

This video will show the effects of raising ID filter.

The detector shown in this video is not a Racer. but a Nokta Core unit.

Make no mistake--I've owned and run both they are very close in performance.

On the Racer it's called ID filter
On the CoRe unit it's called ID mask.

Even though they have different names the disc funtions are one and the same.
Enjoy

Keith knows his stuff, love his vids. I hardly ever use the stock coil, I use the 5x10 instead and stay at 5 ID filter. When I use the OOR I go to 1 ID filter and keep the gain under 85. In heavy iron I use the OOR and Gain at 30 or lower.

Saying this reminds me that when I tested the Racer and the Deus I had the 5x10 on the Racer and 9 inch on the deus. The etrac my buddy uses always has the 11 inch. This tells me that the Deus and Racer have the edge but I wasn't in control of the etracs settings but he usually runs it pretty hot.

You haven't learned the Racer then. As for the CTX, it's a great machine but not $2500 great. I would own one if it was priced reasonably but nothing Minelab is.

I hunt with guys that had the CTX and sold them when the hype didn't show itself. My local dealer sells CTX and the one on his wall has so much dust on it, it's funny. Even he doesn't use one, he still uses his Deus.

I told him to take the price sticker off the CTX and it might get handled. He just started selling the Racer after he told a lot of people they suck. :laughing: But they have seen what I find. I don't buy from him because he sells full retail.:?:

I don't know ANYONE who has paid $2500 for a CTX and I sure did not pay $649 for my Racer. Went to a place yesterday that has been hit by every detector made for the last 30 years and managed to pull 3 silvers out in the first 20 minutes. Been over the same area with the Racer, E trac, F75. And I only had 1 hour on the CTX at that point! Won't be any dust growing on this one.

I don't know ANYONE who has paid $2500 for a CTX and I sure did not pay $649 for my Racer. Went to a place yesterday that has been hit by every detector made for the last 30 years and managed to pull 3 silvers out in the first 20 minutes. Been over the same area with the Racer, E trac, F75. And I only had 1 hour on the CTX at that point! Won't be any dust growing on this one.

That's a great 20 min, haven't had a day like that in years. I see CTX all over the place for $2495 MAP. My understanding is that if a dealer sells for less they get called on the carpet. If I'm wrong then Big K with their buying power will undercut everyone.

That's a great 20 min, haven't had a day like that in years. I see CTX all over the place for $2495 MAP. My understanding is that if a dealer sells for less they get called on the carpet. If I'm wrong then Big K with their buying power will undercut everyone.

I didn't pay retail either... And I got the carrot and coiltek coil for it. Best machine I've used and I've had a few.

Back
Top Bottom