Missed It By That Much....

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
My silver finds are down pretty strongly this year. Not from lack of trying - I've actually been out more this year than the previous two, especially in the last three weeks. Maybe just a combination of bad luck and poor locations - I've had several new permissions that just didn't pan out well this year.

Anyway, I just got done tumbling a load of clad, and because I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to take a look at the dates on the quarters and dimes to see how many times I "just missed" instead of just tossing them into my change jars like I usually do. 69 quarters and 112 dimes for $28.45 total - and out of those, 6 quarters and 8 dimes were 1965! With over 50 years worth of potential dates I was expecting maybe one or two of each, tops! But that's more than 8% of my quarters and 7% of my dimes that missed being silver by 1 lousy year!! :shock: Put all those one year earlier, and I'm at least on pace with last year...oh well, just my luck! :roll: :lol:

Moral of the story....no more looking at the dates on clad - straight into the jar it goes from now on!! :lol:

Attachments

• 8328B549-CF6A-431A-894A-565090B25020.jpg
    8328B549-CF6A-431A-894A-565090B25020.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 323
When they made the switch to clad, they made a chit ton of 1965 to replace all the others that were getting horded..

Pretty sure that more quarters were minted in 65 than any other year, and by a large margin...

I find 65 quarters all the time in my pocket change..

In other words, finding a 65 in field, means absolutely nothing really as far as silver potential..

<°)))>{

When it comes to clad....a miss is as good as a mile as they used to say. 1965 clads still circulate. I find a lot of clads dated 1965 but it really doesn't mean much that the date is only one year off.

Nice clean clad I thought it was silver.

Attachments

• Get-Smart-Missed-It-By-That-Much.jpg
    Get-Smart-Missed-It-By-That-Much.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 225
Ben, I feel your pain, I have dug a bunch of 65 quarters this year, I don't bother to look at the dimes anymore. And I agree, sites you think will produce shiny or cool finds most times are a bust and its the small & unexpected places that seem to cough up the goodies. Persevere my friend, there are many treasures yet to be found. Good luck Mark

Clad quarters in 1965. 1,819,717.540 minted. That is one heck of A Pile of quarters. No wonder we find so many of those thrill killers. 1967 they minted over a billion of them again.

Why complain? I have only ever found ONE silver coin ever... and that was a Walking Liberty Half, found in 1984. That's my silver coin total Ever.
Sage(Half there)Grouse

And I’ve never found a silver coin in the ground. I did find a wheatie yesterday though so there is a possibility of it happening!

Back
Top Bottom