Lets talk about the CTX & the silver dollar shall we!

dumbdigger

Elite Member
Was just curious on others observations when scanning
over a silver dollar with the CTX.

I like to find silver, like we all do, but dont understand why the silver dollar
eludes me. Well recently I have been changing it up a bit and playing with
settings/disc etc.....

While messing with air testing I realized that it comes in around 42-43 on the
conductive side. Now for ME I dont really dig ALL of those numbers because its always a copper memorial penny. Yes I know the separations will change these numbers a bit. BUT WHAT REALLY TROUBLES ME IS, NO MATTER WHAT,, IT IS ALWAYS A LOWER TONE COMPARED TO SAY A SILVER DIME.

Yes I can change the tone ID down a few notches but obviously those
copper memorials would sound like a silver dime. LMAO I would
have to dig 1 million memorials to 1 silver dollar. :dash2:

Anyway, I know there are threads on this so here's another one.

HH DD

Was just curious on others observations when scanning
over a silver dollar with the CTX.

I like to find silver, like we all do, but dont understand why the silver dollar
eludes me. Well recently I have been changing it up a bit and playing with
settings/disc etc.....

While messing with air testing I realized that it comes in around 42-43 on the
conductive side. Now for ME I dont really dig ALL of those numbers because its always a copper memorial penny. Yes I know the separations will change these numbers a bit. BUT WHAT REALLY TROUBLES ME IS, NO MATTER WHAT,, IT IS ALWAYS A LOWER TONE COMPARED TO SAY A SILVER DIME.

Yes I can change the tone ID down a few notches but obviously those
copper memorials would sound like a silver dime. LMAO I would
have to dig 1 million memorials to 1 silver dollar. :dash2:

Anyway, I know there are threads on this so here's another one.

HH DD

Silver dollar reads differently if I remember correctly depending on mode used.
http://www.gonehuntingforhistory.com/daily-entries/01-26-13minelab-ctx-3030-target-numbers

Good thread here too.
https://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1729329,page=1

Using high trash separation the FE reading will give you some clues as to whether its a memorial or possible silver dollar. With a silver dollar you'll get something around 01-42. With a memorial you'll get something like 12-42. Of course those numbers will vary but should at least give you an idea. When hunting in combined the FE numbers will be pushed toward the 12 line.

“So here’s another one..”:lol: I appreciate a solid sense of humor.
Conductive readings and corresponding tones start getting lower once the coin gets past a certain mass/surface area. WHY? Beats me. Just have the user button toggle you to a mode using High Trash separation to check suspected signals,it’s really all you can do. Besides the duration of the signal in conjunction with a look at the depth reading,digging is the last resort. The FE number going way low is MY telltale on halves and bigger coins as I use High Trash almost all of the time with some disc.
At least you know of this anomaly. The highest reading you’ll get numerically on the CO side on a US coin will be a silver quarter.

Well, we all want to find a silver dollar...I've not yet, but I've read a lot of posts, so this makes me somewhat of an expert! :laughing:

I remember, One guy found one fresh dropped in a woodchip totter! Which is most likely how I will find mine someday! The most amazing one though, besides Aquachiggers?....?

Our Forum Brother 'Foreverich' got into the most amazing spill of them a few years back and posted about it here...He had been dutifully detecting for 30yrs or more....It was October...just down the street from where he lived, there was a trashy old Hoarders house getting demolished to make way for a new build....the guy running the trackhoe was doing his job just grabbing and tossing the whole deal into a dumpster, and there were silver dollars raining down out of the forks like a glittering hailstorm!...The old Hoarder had jars full of them stuffed away in his house! The trackhoe was busting them up and slinging them in a wonderful arc of pure old silvery sweetness!

Foreverich went out and pulled I cant remember how many out of the vacant lot! It was over 20 though! So I says to myself, "I'm just gonna keep at it like normal, and if one shows up someday, well cool!, But I aint gonna go out hunting for them specifically!"...:laughing:

Thats a hell of a post Foreverich did! Somebody should try to find it and link it here? Like I said, a couple of years ago...Oct, maybe 2015-16 or thereabouts?...I contacted Him and actually bought one from that hoard!...I kept it here on my desk for motivation, then gave it away a couple of weeks ago to a Forum Brother here for his inspiration....But yeah, silver dollars! A guy needs to find a wild one to punch that ticket!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom