Insects and snakes in the south

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I guess if you metal detect in the south you know all these, but it may be helpful to bring to newbies attention.

Was hunting this past monday in Atlanta and while I was digging I noticed 2-3 Yellow Jackets. One yellow jacket is ok since individuals are just out looking for food. but 2-3 you may be near their nest in the ground. Not good. Sure enough 20 feet way was a yellow jacket nest in the ground. Well I was hunting on a corner of a 1.5 acre lot. I moved to the other areas rather quickly. Remember 1-2 yellow jackets flying low to the ground searching for food is no problem. When you see many of them coming or going to a hole in the ground get the heck away ASAP. They will signal an attack. I have been attacked by a swarm twice in my life and trust me they hurt bad, really bad and they can fly faster than you can run.

we also have two poisonous spiders it the shout. black widows and the brown recluse. We have four poisionous snakes. Copper heads, rattle snakes, water moccasin or known as cottonmouth and coral snake. Coral snakes are the least dangerous since they would have to really chew on your fingers, they don't have fangs.

Never, never reach down in the brush until you have knocked around a little i with your shovel or detector.

We have mosquitos that carry west nile virus. This is not one to fool will. apply your deep woods deet. My neighbor's mom is now brain dead coma from the west nile virus. She walked her dog in a creek behind her house daily. One day she was fine, the next few days she was in a comma.

That is really scary since I am around mosquitos a lot.

Winter is the best time to hunt without all these pests in Georgia. Usually the first hard frost sends all these critters packing to elsewhere.

I'm from Louisiana but now live in New Hampshire. I can vouch for all of these things. Seems like up here is a much easier place to live. We do have ticks with their lyme disease. Don't bother me too much though. I use permethrin on em.

I guess if you metal detect in the south you know all these, but it may be helpful to bring to newbies attention.

Was hunting this past monday in Atlanta and while I was digging I noticed 2-3 Yellow Jackets. One yellow jacket is ok since individuals are just out looking for food. but 2-3 you may be near their nest in the ground. Not good. Sure enough 20 feet way was a yellow jacket nest in the ground. Well I was hunting on a corner of a 1.5 acre lot. I moved to the other areas rather quickly. Remember 1-2 yellow jackets flying low to the ground searching for food is no problem. When you see many of them coming or going to a hole in the ground get the heck away ASAP. They will signal an attack. I have been attacked by a swarm twice in my life and trust me they hurt bad, really bad and they can fly faster than you can run.

we also have two poisonous spiders it the shout. black widows and the brown recluse. We have four poisionous snakes. Copper heads, rattle snakes, water moccasin or known as cottonmouth and coral snake. Coral snakes are the least dangerous since they would have to really chew on your fingers, they don't have fangs.

Never, never reach down in the brush until you have knocked around a little i with your shovel or detector.

We have mosquitos that carry west nile virus. This is not one to fool will. apply your deep woods deet. My neighbor's mom is now brain dead coma from the west nile virus. She walked her dog in a creek behind her house daily. One day she was fine, the next few days she was in a comma.

That is really scary since I am around mosquitos a lot.

Winter is the best time to hunt without all these pests in Georgia. Usually the first hard frost sends all these critters packing to elsewhere.

I almost walked over a yellow jacket nest hole in a park!!:shock:

Huge, huge, spiders too..

I was in a tight crawlspace, I was pretty far in and couldn't move that fast, or see that well. When I saw this huge furry spider.. My dad told me to kill it, I'm like no, why? Because I didn't know if it was a baby, or the momma..

<°)))>{

I'm with you, minus the water moccasins and coral snakes here in the Arkansas Ozarks.

Those brown recluses are very, very dangerous. They are, and can be everywhere here.
Black widows? Just look in the hole for my neighbors water meter. Yellow Jacket ground nests? Have one on the side of my home, three years running now.
Ever get buzzed by, or walk into, a swarm of termites?
It is not pretty. On the funnier side, hunting at night, even the armadillos are capable of teaming up in twos or threes. Perhaps nothing to really worry about, but they can run a lot faster than most people think, and will run at you. They can really spook you, especially the BIG ones.
I always carry first-aid items in my vehicle, for every hunt.

l9QOSxY.jpg

Have a yellow Jacket nest in the shrubs in my front yard. 2nd year now. Would love to get rid of them without killing my shrubs...Really sucks when I'm mowing and trimming around them....Really keeps me on my toes....LOL

We also have rattlesnakes, copperheads, mosquitoes, ticks, black widows, brown recluses, heroine junkies and pill pushers....The later two are the worst...They can be found just about anywhere...Don't even have to be in the woods....:laughing:

I had heard of tarantulas in Missouri, but I had never seen one until I was digging some compost from the bin with a little trowel and scooped out a HUUUGE one. I try to be one with nature and not kill animals without reason, but my first instinct was to kill it. I just don't consider bugs the same as other animals. After looking at it for a while I noticed that it was kind of pretty in a weird spidery way and just couldn't bring myself to kill it.

I hate the fire ants and mosquitoes more than anything. Last week I knelt down in a hidden fire ant mound. Yes it sucked bad.

Have a yellow Jacket nest in the shrubs in my front yard. 2nd year now. Would love to get rid of them without killing my shrubs...Really sucks when I'm mowing and trimming around them....Really keeps me on my toes....LOL

I just note where the opening is then wait for night when all the yellow jackets are in the nest. Then empty a can of wasp spray into the opening.
This has always worked to kill the nest and hasn't yet killed any plants.

I hate the fire ants and mosquitoes more than anything. Last week I knelt down in a hidden fire ant mound. Yes it sucked bad.

yeah forgot about fire ants. 3 weeks ago got two fire ant bites. Lucky me, only two. but they itched, puffed up a bit and then the next day I popped them and drained them. As a kid I have gotten bitten or stung by more than 2.

I just note where the opening is then wait for night when all the yellow jackets are in the nest. Then empty a can of wasp spray into the opening.
This has always worked to kill the nest and hasn't yet killed any plants.

Most wasp sprays say "kills on contact" which is far from the truth. But I found one that actually does. Got it from Amazon:

Pt Wasp Freeze II Aerosol - 17.5 Oz. Can ~ Control Wasps, Hornets, Yellow Jackets, Spiders

I spray it on a nest covered with wasps and every one of them fall straight to the ground.

Man I love The north........ though that stuff can even happen here, just less of it around. Had an off strain of west nile once as a kid traveling in canada. Had a fever so high I was hallucinating. docs said i was lucky to be alive.

I love the South. Grew up on the border between North and South. I can hunt Year round and don't have to drive or wade that white !!!! that yall get. Heck some days I even have to wear a light jacket in order to go detecting.

Ah yes the friendly cotton mouth!!!!! That has got to be one of the nastiest tempered boogers I have ever ran into!!!! They will not tuck and run from you!!! You tuck and run from them!!! :laughing: They are not going to back down once pissed. They will just bring it on to you!!!

This World is not suited for Humans I tell ya! Not with all these bugs around! This Planet belongs to the bugs and we somehow got stuck here accidentally.

We have yellowjackets up here and in the Fall, they like to load up on sugar to stuff their larders and overwinter comfortably...Well, as ya'll know, I run around and grab every empty can available that I find on my hunts and cash them in for a dime each...

In the Fall, after the HS friday night Football games, early in the morning when its cold out, the yellowjackets stay down inside the cans until the day warms them up and gets them to buzzing around...

One fine morning, I had an exceptional can haul! Well over $10 worth! I filled the trunk and then stuffed another whole bag of cans in the backseat of Rosie!! Confined to the warmth of my car, they all woke up at the same time as I was driving home! They all came boiling up out of that bag like a squadron of flying angry jalapenos!

I reasoned, "Bugs are dumb, they dont know if I'm a Human or a deer or whatever, so If I just ignore them, they have no reason to sting me!" Evidently they were unaware of this concept...One crawled in my ear and was buzzing around like an evil piano tuning fork!..A platoon made it down the back of my shirt collar before I abandoned my flawed research!

Amazingly, I retained control over my motor vehicle and pulled off the side of the road as fast as I could...I briskly peeled off my shirt and danced around to the merriment of the passers by...I dont think snakes are all that bad, they have no arms or legs and are deaf, everybody hates them, not me! I feel a bit sorry for them...plus, you will never find one inside an empty can...:laughing:

Attachments

• mar 20-16-1.jpg
    mar 20-16-1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 244
Walking on a wooded path to our fishing spot one evening we kicked up a nest of yellow jackets and all 3 of us payed the price. Next morning on our way out it wasn't fully light. We sneaked up on them while they were still in the nest. We put a pistol just at the opening and fired 3 quick shots. The muzzle flash and percussion wave did the trick! They didn't know what hit them.

I almost walked over a yellow jacket nest hole in a park!!:shock:

Here in Jersey we don't have the coral snake but do have the other snakes and spiders. So far no fire-ants, thank God. Our mosquitoes are second to none in size and voraciousness! They really should be the state bird.

Back
Top Bottom