Flint, Chert question. Find any?

flyguy784

Elite Member
I've recently starting to try my hand at flint knapping. I've accumulated some tools, billets, boppers etc. In my area, southeastern Pa, we have almost no knappable material. Now while I can buy it online, it's kind of pricey. My understanding is that you tend to go through quite a bit of it when starting out. I also know there are places that quality flint and chert nodules are far more common. Obsidian as well.
Is there anyone out there that knows what it is and comes across it in their outdoor activities? If so, I'd be interested in a trade. I've quite a collection of silver coins, large coppers, musket balls (all collected on Battle of Brandywine battle fields) that I'd be willing to trade. I'm interested in fairly large chunks. say 5 - 15 lbs worth. I realize shipping would be a little high but not too bad, I did buy a little to get started. So, if anyone is interested, let me know, we'll work something out. Thanks.
Just respond on this thread or PM me.

You can always knap glass or tile to keep you busy. Theres a facebook page called "Flint Knapping" if your on facebook with a bunch of good guys. I know a few in PA that knap. I live in Texas, which has tons of chert, just not where i live... I have a local guy that sells stone if you ever need some good stone. Im not sure if he does trades or not, ill ask him.

Some deposits not too far from you.

The most famous deposit of flint in Ohio is an area in eastern Licking and western Muskingum Counties Known as flint ridge. Deposits over a foot thick.

Speaking of Flint Rodge, they are having a Knap In there this weekend. Their will be tons of knapped and plenty of material to purchase. I'm not sure how far you are from there, but it's one of the biggest knap in's of the year.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535749129318.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535749129318.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 124
Speaking of Flint Rodge, they are having a Knap In there this weekend. Their will be tons of knapped and plenty of material to purchase. I'm not sure how far you are from there, but it's one of the biggest knap in's of the year.

Too far for me, at least this weekend. Wish I would have known about this earlier. Could have possibly planned a very nice road trip. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom