Hunting with Amish kids

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I tried some detecting Sunday at an old park in a town about 15 miles down the road. Anyway, these 4 Amish kids were hanging out there, looking bored until I came detecting along. They suddenly appeared about 10 feet behind me. I smiled and kept digging, and they were right there, waiting to see what I found. A penny! They asked questions and zeroed in on everything I dug. Penny, nickel, dime...I turned off the headphones so they could hear everything. They really got a kick out of the pinpoint mode on the Nox. The little girl said it sounded like a baby crying. :lol: These kids had a good sense of humor too. One hole had some broken glass in it. As they were passing around the coin from that hole, I cleaned off a round piece of glass that had an old Quaker guy embossed on it. (turns out it was from an "Old Quaker" bottle like the part shown in photo) I gave it to them, and said "it looks like your dad!" They all bust out giggling. These kids were my hunting buddies for the next half hour or so, until the folks arrived. They marveled at the Mercury dime we found, and everything else too! Not a lot of coins left in this park, but it sure was a fun hunt!

Attachments

• oldquakerglass.jpg
    oldquakerglass.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 361
Great post about a unusual "When Worlds Collide" in field experience...

"Looks like your Dad!" :laughing::laughing: That got me giggling here!

Thanks guys. It was fun. Those kids are so well mannered. The next day, I was detecting a different area, and one lone kid came truckin' up; immediately appointing himself as my assistant, and just would not stop talking. He constantly bragged about his knowledge of detecting, coins, and a host of other things he didn't know much about. Annoying. I was glad when it started to rain a little. "Don't want to get my detector wet. Gotta Go." :laughing:
I actually came back to that place a couple hours later, to find a Mercury dime and Indianhead penny. As much as that kid talks, I'm glad he didn't see those.

Thanks guys. It was fun. Those kids are so well mannered. .

Chores and responsibilities and a whoopin if they aren't done might have something to do with it. I had a lot of fun years back working on some Amish farms. Those kids carried water for the hard working men and served lunch, but they spent most of their time playing. Tag, baseball, frizbee anything that involved running around. Just like any kids they would occasionally get a little wild or climb on something they shouldn't and one of the old men would give them "the look" and it was instantly quiet.

I personally like the Amish and the Mennonites, the later of which there is a large number of around here, and their children are among the most polite and well behaved you will find anywhere. There is a local Mennonite family here that runs a bakery and let me tell you what these people can do with an Apple is amazing, not to mention their breads, rolls, cookies, etc. Both groups are nice people.

Amish Acres in Nappanee Indiana puts on the best lunch I have ever had. It ain't cheap. I was called into the office many times for putting it on the expense account until the boss went there and decided we could go there just not too often.

Back
Top Bottom