• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT MAX detailed findings

Russ44

Thanks for those responding to their experiences on the ATMAX...Here is some additional details I had come up with in a week of using the ATMAX:

Z-Lynk wireless headphones....I was very pleased with them...the sound quality and response was excellent

I thought the Pinpointer, Weight of the Detector (which proved to be light) and the Night light was exceptionally good.

The ground balance was very easy to use...Readings fell into the 83 to 91 range

The ATMAX was very easy to operate...everything is at your fingertips. Additionally the frequency adjustment proved to be quite helpful in a high EMI area. I just moved from F3 to F1 and the EMI decreased considerably!

The 4 modes were nice. I used the All Metal mode in conjunction of from my Zero mode to confirm some findings as necessary. I actually configured the Custom mode to my liking and it worked quite well to my satisfaction.

Iron audio was used extensively and is very helpful most of the time. Tin foil seems to be the nemesis as it makes it self known as you reach for certain finds

Sensitivity and threshold seem to work hand in hand...Typically I used Threshold at a -3 and kept my sensitivity at the maximum level

VDI target accuracy was a pleasant surprise....I had some findings keeping consistent readings down to 7 inches on a wheat penny. One coin at 8.5 inches still gave some 70's IDs which surprised me

Depth was very good. My deepest dig was 9.5 inches uncovering a very small nail....

Discrimination was very easy to use....I typically was in the zero mode at 35 to 40 percent discrimination.....depth was still very good vs all metal

Stability of the detector did have some snap and crackle sounds and on a few occasions did sound off a bit but it was manageable...you will need to adjust accordingly. It is a very powerful detector.

The stock coil works good as is. But I suspect there will be some better choices...I will be looking into a larger Concentric they have and maybe a sharpshooter coil

Swing speed....not quite fast as I hoped. With this detector you do have to slow down sometimes, but faster than a ETrac

Audio tones....wish there was 4 to 5 tones. Maybe even the extra bell tone for the real high numbers of 85 or better.

Garrett did make improvements on the areas people wanted except for maybe multiple tones and yes there is a few areas I would like to see also, but overall I was fairly pleased....I felt it was fun detector to use and still gave you the technology/choices to keep you challenged.

Hope this thread helps those who are seeking additional information.

Russ44

Thanks for your response....I see you are from North Carolina.....Beautiful area....How much more depth are you getting vs the ACE 400?

Thanks for your response....I see you are from North Carolina.....Beautiful area....How much more depth are you getting vs the ACE 400?

Thanks! Been here a year and we really like it!

We did a few tests with a wheat penny and I can get 2-3" more depth in All Metal mode. In Coins mode on both machines the MAX got about 2" deeper. Where the MAX really seems to shine over the 400 is small targets deeper than 5". The MAX is hitting stuff that my 400 never even picked up. Another plus is the lack of trash I am digging. During my kids' soccer practice tonight (45 min detecting time) I dug what's shown in the pic. Not shown is the one pull tab and can slaw I also dug. With the 400 I dug a lot more trash. The real test will be our awesome early 1900's church permission which has been "hunted out" by both ACE's. I am so curious to see if the MAX gets anything else out of there!

Attachments

• IMG_20171003_190307.jpg
    IMG_20171003_190307.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 754
Nuffalo and Bibelot, Thanks to both of you. Wish you the best in your finds. Hopefully we can learn the detector's language to better utilize our detecting efforts.

Thanks for the review. I am working out of town and the hotel where I am staying called to tell me that there was a large package waiting for me. It is a Garrett AT MAX! First detector in almost 40 years. I didn't know where to shop so I ordered it from Amazon and they shipped it overight!

Thanks for the review. I am working out of town and the hotel where I am staying called to tell me that there was a large package waiting for me. It is a Garrett AT MAX! First detector in almost 40 years. I didn't know where to shop so I ordered it from Amazon and they shipped it overight!

I'm glad you found this place.The sponsors here are extremely helpful as well.Congrats and good luck with your new machine, it is a very good choice.:welcome2:

Ordering from Craig today! This machine will be a great compliment to my Impact. Before Impact came out I was going to order another ATP.

Hello Mudwhale....Sorry I did not get back to you earlier as I was very busy today. I am glad you found a source to buy from. I did have a very good experience with Golden Road Metal Detectors out of Missouri. His name is Jim Crain who is very nice to work with and is active in the detecting field himself. Thanks to everyone who has read the thread and their feedback. It is much appreciated

I'm glad you found this place.The sponsors here are extremely helpful as well.Congrats and good luck with your new machine, it is a very good choice.:welcome2:

I actually found this site after I ordered my detector. I always shop with sponsors when I can.

Hello Mudwhale....Sorry I did not get back to you earlier as I was very busy today. I am glad you found a source to buy from. I did have a very good experience with Golden Road Metal Detectors out of Missouri. His name is Jim Crain who is very nice to work with and is active in the detecting field himself. Thanks to everyone who has read the thread and their feedback. It is much appreciated

No problem! I already purchased from another site sponsor and supporter that P.M'd me. Super great deal and a great guy to deal with all around. I also ordered the 4x8 coil and cover to go along with it.
Craig Nichols
http://showmetreasure.com/

I actually found this site after I ordered my detector. I always shop with sponsors when I can.

I know you will get a better deal and support a Sponsor/Supporter of this site!

Ordering from Craig today! This machine will be a great compliment to my Impact. Before Impact came out I was going to order another ATP.

I am glad you are not giving up on the Impact. I can't wait to hear about your finds, likes and dislikes between the two detectors.

Back
Top Bottom