• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ace 250

dirtydogg

About 2 mths ago I purchased an ace 250. I hated it until I learned how to use it. When I 1st used it I was in my back yard & I was getting signals like crazy, I would dig & nothing. I think that my satellite & electric fence were giving me my false signals because once I left the back yard it started working right. Now that I learned how to use it, I love it. I would suggest that if someone purchases this they should tie down the coil wire. Stay away from electric horse fence, satellite dishes & Internet dishes. You will love this metal detector.

I bought my Ace 250 back in July '08. It is my first mdr and I like it alright. One thing that I had to do was turn down the sensitivity, so that I wouldn't get so many false signals and erratic beeping. Overall, I think that it is a good beginner machine, but I wish that Garrett had used concentric (round) coils, instead of the standard 6.5" x 9" elliptical coil and the larger 9" x 12" elliptical coil . I don't have any problems pinpointing with the 4.5" sniper coil, but the standard elliptical coil seems to be a bit harder to pinpoint with and it takes me more time.

Optimal sensitivity for the 250 is to drop 4 bars off from full sensitivity. I never move mine.

IMHO, the 250 is just like any other MD...you have to crank down the sensitivity (gain) to a level where the receiving coil can be stable. Sensitivity adjustments are directly tied to the signal receiving side of the equation.

Ace 250

Ditto the sensitivity-4 bars is high to me and I'll use that in high grass or where older coins might be. Also, the coil connector,if the wire is wrapped so tight that it pulls on the connection with each sweep will cause it to go bananas-as will cell phones. The only other thing I've read is one customer had a bad battery holder wire. I know the feeling-you feel like pulling your hair out and then when it's set right it kinda grows on you. I sometimes add the icon right above nickel in the Coins mode when I'm in a really trashy area. That way I have a chance at rings in the foil category without having to fool with the pulltabs.

Last edited:
I have a BH and I too have to turn the sensitivityway down to eliminate the false signals. I think the ground here has high mineralization.
Even with the sensitivity turned down, I still get good depth and fine great stuff.

HH,
Rick

for me sensitvity should be no less than 2 from the top on my ace sure i get falses but i don't dig them when i hit beaches its on high

Back
Top Bottom