How often do you do a full breakdown and clean?

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
After my beach trip I did a full break down and clean on my detector. There was sand EVERYWHERE and I had a good bit of trouble with the cam locks. That was after a good post hunt rinse in the shower too. I was wondering from you guys who get sandy on a regular basis, how often you have to clean your detectors?

BCD

I clean my AT-Pro cam locks an the stem direkt after the Water hunt. Wenn the hunt is finished i Go waist deep and take the three pieces apart.
Rinse the tubes and cam locks, then put it together again. I do it all in or under water.

After my beach trip I did a full break down and clean on my detector. There was sand EVERYWHERE and I had a good bit of trouble with the cam locks. That was after a good post hunt rinse in the shower too. I was wondering from you guys who get sandy on a regular basis, how often you have to clean your detectors?

BCD

Operating in sandy environments, cleaning needs to be done pronto IMO. Especially in areas with moving parts.
Air may be a better way to clean first. Then rinse and do with air again.
Connectors and camlodk areas need real attention.

I don't hunt in sand much. What little I have it was eye opening at just how much sand can gather in places on detector.

Operating in sandy environments, cleaning needs to be done pronto IMO. Especially in areas with moving parts.
Air may be a better way to clean first. Then rinse and do with air again.
Connectors and camlodk areas need real attention.

I don't hunt in sand much. What little I have it was eye opening at just how much sand can gather in places on detector.

What he said^^^^......SAND will WEAR down the carbon fiber pieces to the point of failure,and make everything miserable to use. Clean it!

After every trip to the beach my Xcal get a complete wash down. I pull the shafts apart and thoroughly wash the insides with a hard stream of water. I had the shaft seize up one time when I did not clean it.

Fine sand will get in every nook and cranny when detecting in the surf.

Every month or so I give the cables a treatment to hopefully extend the life of the covers.

When beach detecting, I wash the detector down under the beach showers on first leaving the beach, then hose down again when I get home, especially under the coil cover. Once a month I pull the detector down and give it a thorough clean and treat all rubber and plastic parts. You'll be surprised how much fine sand sticks in all the little nooks and crannies.
I do the same routine after land hunting too.

I followed the same process. Waited until I was ready to sell my AT Pro. Guess what, I could not remove the cam-lock near the control unit even with gripper pliers and a wash cloth. called Garrett and they told me to get it off the best way possible and they sent me a new cam-lock. I used a Dremel tool to split it and it came off. Garrett rep said the salt and sand forms a type of micro concrete and locks it up solid. Put the new one on and all was fine. On my new 800 i clean it anytime after it is near sand and water.

Back
Top Bottom