Backside of iron mine pt 2

IMShooter

Elite Member
I need some assistance. I haven't hit the hole in front of the shed in awhile. The last time I went there, the eagles soaring just above the power lines gave me pause. The grass that had grown two feet was also an issue.
I went back the other day and cut the front and backyard and saw no sign of the eagles. (they've been pretty prevalent this year. I see them all over).

I went there last night with the intention of strictly detecting.
I took a peek at the hole and decided to round the hole out a bit so it had some uniformity.
I popped out two more of the PoPs soda bottles ('48) and a couple dad's with most of the paint gone.

I didn't have gear with me and looked in the shed for a shovel. I found something better.
A probe of sorts. Actually a 6' tall ice spud.
It had the narrow spud head for busting up ice and the body was a hunk of rebar and it had a nice t handle.

I stuck into the center of the hole and I almost fell on my face.
The spud went easily through a foot or so of dirt and glass and then it literally hit nothing and fully sunk to the handle. It was like a cartoon.

I was able to rock it back and forth and swirl it in circles without, what seemed like, any resistance.

Sound like a privy?
I did find a couple of hunks of grey stoneware and an almost intact stoneware container that looks to be handmade.
The glazing, especially on the bottom, is sloppy and in some places there's no glaze.

I'm just hoping I didn't hit a sinkhole or something.

Can someone with more privy experience weigh in? I mostly have hit shallow privies and dumps.

Pardon the grammar. I'm on my tablet and sick of autocorrect.

I'm going back there this evening when it's not 90 degrees. I

Be very careful around there , could be a sinkhole , could be a privy or well not fully filled in. Sounds to me more like a buried trash pit that either never settled completely or some of the solids rotted away leaving a void , but hard to be sure and you cant be too careful.

Be very careful around there , could be a sinkhole , could be a privy or well not fully filled in. Sounds to me more like a buried trash pit that either never settled completely or some of the solids rotted away leaving a void , but hard to be sure and you cant be too careful.

+1

Thanks for the concern. The last thing I want to do is fall through the backyard of a100+ yr old house. I rounded out the hole so it was pretty uniform and probed a bit more and worked my way down 2' or so while sitting on the edge of the hole.

Still not sure if it's an old trash hole or privy. I have hit some ash and pulled some strips of cedar on one side of the hole. I'm now pulling a mix of 40s and 30s stuff.
The coolest is the glass portion of a Jumbo peanut butter lid.

Still doing research to find the exact location of the privy. The hard part is that there are only a few scattered houses in that area. To the east is where the mine and directly west is a golf course and the pine mountain ski jump/hill.

Frustrating to say the least

Back
Top Bottom