Back Side of First Iron Mine

IMShooter

Elite Member
I've been detecting/digging (looking for the privy) at a friend's father's house. His father passed away last year. He was 90+.
The house is on the backside hill of the Chapin Iron Mine. You could sit at the top of the hill behind his house, let a basketball roll down the hill and the ball would probably go through the walls of the house and out the other side.

This house was built in the 1800s when the mine opened. I've found some decent stuff detecting there. some wheats, silver and good misc stuff. An old Studebaker toy car, boy scout knives, pendants etc..all kinds of fun stuff..

There's a dump 20yds or so behind the house. it's a good sized one. 20-30' across and so far 3' down.

There's a trail that cuts from the front side of the mine, around the hill to his father's house and beyond.

Workers from that area walked the trail to and from work and hobos would use it as a short cut from one set of tracks to another. It's a 5min walk.

I've been trying to find the privy forever. I didn't have a probe (no idea where it's at...methinks at inlaws) and Sanborn maps don't show that side of the mountain...at all.

My friend had no idea where it'd been as it was knocked down before he was born (he was born in '48).

I dug at every depression I saw against the treeline and where the current garden is.

The one place I hadn't dug was the shed... one of the 10x10 metal sheds for storing lawnmowers etc.. There's a 2' drop/slope to the shed and 5' or so around it.

I stuck a shovel in there tonight and after 10mins of digging I found some shards.
I was 2' down or so and started to see broken aqua Ball jar shards and lids. I pulled 2 headlights from an old car out.
There was also a neck and lip of a bottle in the grass under the lip of the shed itself with an applied lip and rough seams to an inch or so below the lip... which is a good sign.

I found a few ACLs. A couple of Dad's root beer, quite a few with all of the paint gone..and this one... it's a PoP's. Has the cool face of "PoP" on the front.

Haven't spent much time looking this one up, so no idea about where it came from other than Milwaukee...

A few pics..
The side view of the shed ( I dug in front of it, to the left in the pic) and 2 views of the PoP's.
Forgive the shed one being sideways. It renders fine in Gimp and all other image stuff I have.

Attachments

• 62286.jpg
    62286.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 91349.jpg
    91349.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 403
  • 64768.jpg
    64768.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 392
I like soda bottles,so much unique art work and differences of bottles!
Have you tried detecting the old hobo trail? There has to be some coins on/along the trail!

Thanks everyone.
I hope it's the privy DirtyPockets.
Thanks Ricki7 and rreahard..

metal addict- yeah..that's a cool bottle. I haven't been able to find much about it yet. There were quite a few mom & pop bottlers back then. There's a guy who puts his want list of bottles up and POP is on there.
I have found some pretty cool stuff. I found what I think is a snuff tin cover with a turtle on it. I thought it was a child's mold for pressing into sand, but I showed it to a friend and he instantly said "oh, it's a snuff tin cover. I've found a couple of those with other animals."

I haven't researched it at all so I'll accept his answer for now.

here are a couple pics of the turtle..

Attachments

• turtle goodness1.jpg
    turtle goodness1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 259
  • turtle 333.jpg
    turtle 333.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 255
Back
Top Bottom