metal detector coil output power and depth

pennysaver

I used to build antennas for amateur radio use and the more power you put into the antenna in watts the further and louder you signal would be. I have been all over the Internet and different forums and I can not find out anything about power output of the coil or detector. I know the batteries would not last as long if you had a lot of power output. Anybody know anything about power output and depth???? Thanks Jim in Taylors, SC

Hi Jim,

Unlike ham radio, or other radio antennas, metal detector coils are not meant to radiate an RF electromagnetic field in the same way. The frequencies involved are much lower.

The transmit power of just about all detectors is fixed by design and instead the receive side sensitivity is variable.

The problem with juicing up the transmit power is much the same as using the car's high beams in a thick fog. The ground matrix produces a signal that is superposed with the target. If you increase the transmitted power, both the ground matrix and target signals increase by the same amount. In short, the signal to noise ratio doesn't improve with more power.

Hi Jim,

Unlike ham radio, or other radio antennas, metal detector coils are not meant to radiate an RF electromagnetic field in the same way. The frequencies involved are much lower.

The transmit power of just about all detectors is fixed by design and instead the receive side sensitivity is variable.

The problem with juicing up the transmit power is much the same as using the car's high beams in a thick fog. The ground matrix produces a signal that is superposed with the target. If you increase the transmitted power, both the ground matrix and target signals increase by the same amount. In short, the signal to noise ratio doesn't improve with more power.
Say it again..............................

Attachments

• MV5BMTgxMzE0MTU5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYyNzI2__V1__SX100_SY128_.jpg
    MV5BMTgxMzE0MTU5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzYyNzI2__V1__SX100_SY128_.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,459
Back
Top Bottom