Coil size

wolf-n-wa

Forum Supporter
O.K. So as some of you know I'm pretty new to detecting yet. My question is what coil or coil size is best to hunt trashy areas. I find ill dig 5 to 6 nails to pull an old penny out of a @ 2 foot diameter area. I hunt with a DFX with the 12" coil. Obviously this coil is to big. Thanks for any info. Also can someone explain to me what a double d coil is and its advantages. THANX WOLF

I have an MXT not a DFX but they use the same coils..

If you want a smaller concentric coil I would get the 5.3 coil. I prefer DD coils and use mainly the 6x10 for general use and the 4x6 coil in very trashy areas. DD coils have better target separation than concentric coils used on most machines. The reason is the radiation pattern of the coils. On a concentric coil the pattern is a kind of cone(like ice-cream cone) with the hottest spot in the middle of the coil. A DD coil has a radiation pattern more like a blade running down the center of the coil. In other words the hottest spot is a couple inch wide strip running from front to back of the coil. Concentric coils are generally deeper seeking than a DD coil of the same size but DD's can hunt an area faster because you don't have to overlap the coil sweeps as much as you do on the concentric coils. A DD coil also works better in mineralized ground. You definitely want to get a smaller coil. I've owned my MXT for about 7yrs and have only used the stock 9.5 coil a couple of times. Most places are just too trashy for me to use the big concentric, I can't imagine trying to use a 12in. I have all White's coils but I read a lot of good things about the aftermarket Excellerator coils too.

welp cant add anything to Phils post,he explained it well. wolf...kellyco has a great selection of whites coils..I beleive they even have the excell. coils.

PhilB gave a good explaination in post above.

I use a 4.5" X 7" Excelerator DD coil on my MXT in trashy areas with gain turned down. Works well in the junk.

John

Back
Top Bottom