• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Arr. Land Pirate: Silver and Gold, me maties!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I haven't posted the last few hunts. Been finding rings regularly (1-2 a hunt). The last 3 hunts (prior to today), I pulled one spinner ring, and one silver claddagh ring (5 rings total from 3 hunts, along with 10.88 in change).

Today, I haven't counted the clad, but I managed to pull this year's first gold ring out. I told my wife this morning, that I was going to a different city, because there was "gold over there." (Of course, I say that everytime I go somewhere, so it's not like it was a prediction). But, it was nice to connect!

It came at the last of 3 schools I visited. The first school (elementary) I found change, and pendants galore..

2nd school (middle school) looked to have been built this last year. pretty much nothing there (I think I pulled $0.30).

3rd School (elementary) had a lone pine tree at the opposite end of the very large school. I slowly made my way over to it, thinking that if there was a ring, it'd be THERE.

Wasn't wrong. :) Rang up at a solid 52. Figured it was a pull tab. Nope!

4.11 grams of Amethyst, two diamonds, and 10K gold. Was a nice end to the day, and it was good to get on the board, with gold, for the year. My Sig is updated with all the rings and gold.

Cheers!

Skippy

EDIT: I looked up the hallmark "KLJCI" and found it belongs to Robert Klein Jewlery Company. Apparently, it's vintage, and definitely collectible. He's mostly known for charm slides, but rings do show up. His work is very much "one of a kind" rings, and it doesn't appear they were mass produced. Looks like this is genuinely a "Unique" piece. Cool. :)

EDIT2: Further research shows that these rings were made through about mid 1980's. Apparently "Vintage" is now when I grew up... GREAT. :laughing::(:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3979.jpg
    IMG_3979.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Sweet ring. Keep it up

Thanks. Hopefully, the flood of gold will now start rolling towards me. Been a tough year so far. Haven't gone this long without finding a gold ring before. (Of course, I'm only hunting about 1/2 what I usually do, so it's really not too bad, comparatively...)

Here's the ring all cleaned up and polished with the Dremel cloth wheel and some jeweler's rouge.

Skippy

EDIT: LOL! The first picture makes it look like the ring is really biting into my thumb. It's actually my thumb and finger and it just LOOKS that way. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 321
Your ring finding skills never cease to amaze. Nice one! Do you think any elementary school kid was wearing that?

Your ring finding skills never cease to amaze. Nice one! Do you think any elementary school kid was wearing that?

Nah, at size 6.75, it was probably an adult. It's important to remember that Elementary Schools are great locations for people to come for sports practice, after school, and show up for things like "track and field day." There's always the odd ring that gets lost by a school employee, too.

I've found enough gold rings in elementary schools to have high expectations at each school I go to. At one elementary, I pulled 5 gold rings, total, over a year. It was awesome. :)

That all being said, I'm certain some of the gold I've found at elementary schools came off a kids finger. Grandma or someone either gave it to them, or it was raided from the jewelry box. Since I've never found a gold WEDDING ring (other than plain band), at an elementary school, I can only assume that these rings are decorative, and then the kids lose them, because they don't fit right.

One thing is for sure, though... I find MUCH more gold at Elementary schools than I do middle schools. I find MUCH more silver at Middle schools than elementary, and I found more of both at High Schools.

Makes sense, in a weird sort of way. In elementary, kids don't understand the value of gold, like middle schoolers do, so they'll wear it.

Skippy

Great overall digging and a great pedigreed Gold ring! You gotta be liking that Skip!!:thumbsup:

I am, Mud. Was feeling the "desire" of hoarding gold, this year, but when it's 2.5 months in, that's a bit long for my tastes.

I know I usually find one about every 40-60 hours of detecting... Interestingly, I checked against my stats (I'm actually keeping track accurately on the # of hunts and stuff in my sig). Each of my hunts has been 60 and 90 minutes, except the occasional 4 hour hunt (which happened about 4 times or so. I think that puts my average at just 90 minutes.

Multiply that by 30 hunts, and whammo... I get 45 hours of hunting. Turns out I'm NOT slowing down on my find rate... I'm just not hunting as often!

Guess I better get out!!

Skippy

Turns out I'm NOT slowing down on my find rate... I'm just not hunting as often!
Skippy

Well, Thats really cool! Like riding a bicycle! You still got it when you NEED it!

This 'Time Management' dynamic of thought is something I am also considering..I've always been intrigued with turning 4hrs of effort into 8hrs of results...Condensing my Year into Profitable Time categories..24hrs a day...all sorts of things to do, so I ask myself, "Can I maximize my Metal Detecting Year ROI performance in the least amount of Time expended?"...

So yeah, I'm hearing you....and I'm also learning from You...You have advised me in the past...highgrading massive loads of Q's when the site is obviously saying theres Gold potential here? Is this a logical most profitable expenditure of my Time? I'm gonna hit this year with that strategy in mind Skip...Thanks Brother! :friends:

That is a really stunning Ring Skip !!

Thanks for the incite on Elementary schools.. I have hunted a few and found some cool rings.. No Gold yet but still some nice rings.. It has always been hard for me to wrap my head around Elementary schools and finding things of value.. but I am sure you are right.. more adult Supervision equals better finds.

Again.. Love the ring !!

Well, Thats really cool! Like riding a bicycle! You still got it when you NEED it!

This 'Time Management' dynamic of thought is something I am also considering..I've always been intrigued with turning 4hrs of effort into 8hrs of results...Condensing my Year into Profitable Time categories..24hrs a day...all sorts of things to do, so I ask myself, "Can I maximize my Metal Detecting Year ROI performance in the least amount of Time expended?"...

So yeah, I'm hearing you....and I'm also learning from You...You have advised me in the past...highgrading massive loads of Q's when the site is obviously saying theres Gold potential here? Is this a logical most profitable expenditure of my Time? I'm gonna hit this year with that strategy in mind Skip...Thanks Brother! :friends:

I can't tell you the # of times that I wish to myself, "Self, I wish you could hunt along side Mudpuppy while he's cleaning quarters out, and pull a few gold rings."

Yeah... :)

That is a really stunning Ring Skip !!

Thanks for the incite on Elementary schools.. I have hunted a few and found some cool rings.. No Gold yet but still some nice rings.. It has always been hard for me to wrap my head around Elementary schools and finding things of value.. but I am sure you are right.. more adult Supervision equals better finds.

Again.. Love the ring !!

I wouldn't have believed it either, had I not pulled so many of them!

-Skippy

Congrats on the gold!! I need to focus on some lower numbers this weekend and see what I can do. I'm gonna go back to an old spot I tried a few weeks ago. It seems to be picked pretty clean on the high tones so I'm hoping that means the gold and nickels are still there.

Sweet, no doubt you are the king of rings. The claddah was just in time for St. Paddy's day. I don't seem to find many rings. HH Mark

Thanks. Hopefully, the flood of gold will now start rolling towards me. Been a tough year so far. Haven't gone this long without finding a gold ring before. (Of course, I'm only hunting about 1/2 what I usually do, so it's really not too bad, comparatively...)

Here's the ring all cleaned up and polished with the Dremel cloth wheel and some jeweler's rouge.

Skippy

EDIT: LOL! The first picture makes it look like the ring is really biting into my thumb. It's actually my thumb and finger and it just LOOKS that way. :)
Skip, did the wife claim that one yet? Very nice finds, great start to the year!

Congrats on the gold!! I need to focus on some lower numbers this weekend and see what I can do. I'm gonna go back to an old spot I tried a few weeks ago. It seems to be picked pretty clean on the high tones so I'm hoping that means the gold and nickels are still there.

That was this elementary school, for sure. I found gobs of pencil tops, nickels, pennies, and pendants... but virtually no dimes and quarters. Those are the areas I just get the jitters for... I just KNOW they're holding gold. :)

Sometimes you've just gotta WILL it into existence!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom