on the fence!!

clipped14

I am looking to purchase a new detector and am looking at the Whites MX7 and the Minelab 800 . I have owned a Whites machine and do like the ease and reading on the larger screen . Minelab is a new thing for me and has alot of things going on , Wont use a machine alot and will be a closet qween most of the time.... so battery life is an issue with the Minelab 800 .... any help will be appreciated , thanks

Wow, Looking at your situation- being familiar with the whites and not using it very much this may be the only time someone recommends it over a nox. Ha right! Even if the choice was between F 75 and MX7 they would still recommend the nox.. There may be better choices for you but from what you’ve said I would say the mx7.

Hi, I've owned an MX7. Sold it after 3 months. Nice detector, okay tones, jumpy and annoying target ID past about 4" on solid coin/jewelry targets and fairly heavy/not very ergonomic in my opinion. Really below average target separation and slow recovery speed. 8AAs. No wireless options. Still a solid detector especially in mild soil conditions.

Equinox 600 (the 800 has more options for $200+ more but for your situation I don't know that it is worth the expense???) is in another league entirely from the MX7 and costs about the same. I hunt in bad mineralization most of the time. My 600 will hit solid on any quality targets down to 8" with good tone and fairly good target ID. It will go lots deeper too. Super fast target recovery speed and great target separation in most situations except bed of nails. It feels better than the MX7 (to me anyway), excellent wireless options, (the wired headphones included with the 600 are a total joke BTW), tones are better for target recognition (IMO), numerical target ID is a lot better, full individual segment notching and discrimination and just as nice a display without any gimmicks like words that tell you what the target is and are wrong more than half the time from my experience. The rechargeable batteries need to be refreshed every two to three months according to the manual.

The 600 is a ton of detector with way more options and adjustability than the MX7 plus the simultaneous multi frequency operation and option to operate in single frequencies is really nice. I have both and use the 600 for most of the daily grunt work hunts. I save the 800 for prospecting and special locations.

just my opinions from my experience.

Jeff

Being in the closet so much why are you sticking to these two?
Kinda pricy for a closet queen I would think.
You want a light, productive, capable machine that will find what you want to find when you want to find it but won't get used all that much.
Have you considered a Ameritek Patriot?
One of the lightest most ergonomic detectors out there and works well...everywhere, bad soil or good, clean or trash infested and it isn't scared of iron, either.
$400 shipped...very value oriented and it clicks off most of your boxes as far as I can tell.
Otherwise I know a guy that has used only Whites for 30 years and now just uses a Nox so, whatever.

Obviously a closet member too; 17 posts in approximately 4 years:wow:
I would hope you get out and detect more than you post.:lol:
I have the Equinox 600 and I really enjoy it. It is not hard to learn, very lightweight, and can go deep. It is the best bang for the buck detector on the market in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide on.:D

Back
Top Bottom