Cleaning a Barber

Chipk

Elite Member
Today I found my first Barber dimes. One a 1915 looks good but the second one is barely identifiable. Any suggestions on cleaning it. Mostly want to read the date. Tried a toothpick but it’s not progressing me.

Also found a ‘46 Roosevelt.

Attachments

• 3275E56F-33C9-4AF6-A772-ADD01A4E7899.jpg
    3275E56F-33C9-4AF6-A772-ADD01A4E7899.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 541
  • 0BACF3FF-119C-4116-93ED-C6C5E2CC9EF5.jpg
    0BACF3FF-119C-4116-93ED-C6C5E2CC9EF5.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 506
spit into a piece of aluminum foil, put it in and rub gently.
It will heat up, stink like rotten eggs and come out cleaner.
you can also use baking powder in a paste with water and rub it between your fingers:yes:

I wonder if that is copper corrosion, if so, baking soda won’t help. Have you tried Electrolysis?

Does it appear the coin has been scorched by heat?
I’ve dug a couple that looked like that, slightly porous.

Electrolysis, check it often, and stop when it's readable. Don't over cook it thinking it will eventually look new, it won't.

I would try it in vinegar and water. Won't hurt the coin, but if its organic material or rust it should come off. I have had good luck with lemon juice and water too with blackened silver, but be careful as it will make the outside almost have a chalky appearance if it sits in it too long. Leave it in maybe 10-15 minutes and if the black stuff doesn't have any change then forget it.

-Digg

The "baking soda/aluminum foil/boiling distilled water" method works for me on silver tarnished coins. The trick is you have to do it over and over and over and over. You may even go through a whole box of baking soda. I have read rubbing baking soda directly on silver colins actually takes a minute bit of silver off of the coin. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom