Cheap and not too bad hand digger....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Well, I drove all the way out to an old park expecting to dig deep looking for some older coins and when I got there I discovered I had left my Lesche digger at home in the garage.
Great.
I got on my maps program with my phone and found an Ace Hardware about 4 miles away so I took a trip over there since I ain't no chicken and just scratching the surface of the ground with my nails is not my thing.

I looked at their selection of diggers and they had an Ace brand for $10.99 and a couple others but they didn't look any sturdier or better than this one which cost me $5.99.
As cheap as it is it actually worked pretty good for me most of the day.

There is a hanging ring on top of the handle which has to go, a cheap soft cushion handle, (they say), but not so much and I am just going to wrap it in some kind of tennis grip tape or something to make it more comfortable.

No point on the end and not sharp at all but most of my plugs got dug pretty easily even though the ground in some areas was still a bit hard from the cold.
In softer dirt it worked well.

I like to mod my stuff for optimum performance so I will cut a point in the end and sharpen up the sides a bit and with a wrapped handle I believe this thing will do until spring gets here and I have a chance to tumble my clad and get a Raptor digger when hunting season really begins.
I am just too tough on my tools, I have already broken 2 Lesches, but with their pretty much lifetime warranty and fast replacement I have to stick with that brand or replacement costs would do me in over the long haul...but for now this thing might come in handy.

I did pry a pretty large piece of slightly frozen plug and felt it bend a bit so I backed off, and I dug a few deep holes very easily with this thing once I got the plug out and on one I went about 14" deep.

Love my Lesches, but with the new F70 I am going way deeper than ever before and that flat digger on the regular Lesche just takes too long for impatient ol' me do dig the dirt out of a 9-10-11-12" and more deep hole so the Raptor is what I am aiming for.
For now, however, this thing with its scoop shape will work.

This is totally Chinese and private label stuff so many different stores carry it.
I have looked on the net and depending on where you buy it this thing sells for between $5 and close to $20.
I think Sears has it for $10.99.
Mine is about 13" long, referred to as a transplanting trowel and the blade is stainless steel.

There is a name on the handle that is hard to read but I believe it says Bond, and I think it might also go under the name Mintcraft and maybe a few others.

For a guy like me it probably would not do in the long run, but for a time and for others that are not so hard on their equipment and have nice dirt to dig in this thing could be a nice choice as a decent digging tool.

Attachments

• P1040958.jpg
    P1040958.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 694
  • P1040957.jpg
    P1040957.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 697
I've got several new ones coming after breaking my second cheapo, ordered a Sampson, Lesche, and a Wilcox that is only about $15 and my dealer swears by them. he has used them for years and never had one bend or break ... the lesche will be used sparingly as it's not much for scooping out dirt. they have several models but this one is the one I ordered
wilcox-11-all-pro-stainless-trowel.jpg

I've heard good things about the Wilcox tools but haven't owned one myself. I may give them a try sometime!

my Wilcox will be here Monday but it's going to be a while with sub freezing temp for the last week and the next two weeks at least ... But my Dealer Keith is pretty straight up guy, hunts hard and when he says he's never even heard of one bending or breaking I believe him ... he doesn't have a large selection so if he stocks it it's good or it wouldn't be there and for $15 range is awesome

Wilcox are good diggers. What alot of us don't do (I am guilty myself) is to keep a digger even a cheap one in the vehicle just in case we leave our main digger at home.

The Lesche is not a digger. Its a cutter. When using it, besides the plug, your hand is the soil removal implement.

I learned my lesson last year forgot my digger and had to go home and get it lost an hour of digging! What I did was put a box in my car with the stuff I started to dig with. The Centech Pin pointer, Carpenters pouch, Digger similar to the Fiskers, batteries and Bug spray!! Next year I plan to put some spare parts in there too!

A couple years ago I was wandering around ACE Hardware (I think) and saw a typical small hand shovel - but it appeared to be polycarbonate. It was actually kind of expensive for what it is ($7.99 if I recall) - compared to a steel one for less than half but this has been one of the toughest 'digging' tools I have ever used - and it will not scratch coins. I have dug countless finds with it and it does not appear to be wearing down at all. Also it slides easily into a back pocket with no cutting of material or skin!

Hey Digger, I have using a raptor for a little over a month and really like it. But, there is one caveat. Take something to cut roots. It is not the best tool for digging in areas with lots of tree roots. It will cut some pretty plugs. GL and HH

Hey Digger, I have using a raptor for a little over a month and really like it. But, there is one caveat. Take something to cut roots. It is not the best tool for digging in areas with lots of tree roots. It will cut some pretty plugs. GL and HH

Yea, the Raptor in my more open grass sites with good soil but not a lot of roots, and I do have a few older parks around me with situations just like this and has some pretty deep good targets.
My sharpened Lesche will going to the woods with me.

You may want to try the Hori Hori knife/digger at Walmart on sale right now for $14 I want a backup for my Lesche ...and Walmart stands behind their equipment they sell with no hassle...unlike my recent experience with Lesche/predator "tool" company. I'm going tomorrow to pick up my Hori Hori.
Good luck Digger27

LittleJohn

You may want to try the Hori Hori knife/digger at Walmart on sale right now for $14 I want a backup for my Lesche ...and Walmart stands behind their equipment they sell with no hassle...unlike my recent experience with Lesche/predator "tool" company. I'm going tomorrow to pick up my Hori Hori.
Good luck Digger27

LittleJohn

Thanks.
I have seen those and even though I have never had an "accident", something sharp like that without larger guards to protect me in case I slip would worry me.
I am very clumsy.

Back
Top Bottom